Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

More on background fixes/changes for portraits PSe7

Apr 8, 2012 3:43 PM

This follows my previous post for help with background fixes. In the following example I would like to add to and smooth out the white background, take some of the wrinkles out of the fabric, etc. Should I paint over the image on one layer or select the image and place on a different background?  What are your suggestions?  Obviously, I'm a novice at editing, and I know getting the backdrop correct while shooting the image would be well advised! I need step by step help or referral to a tutorial. Thanks!

sample image 2 for background 80.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to photodonna

For this image, you're talking about the Clone tool.  Keep changing the source of the clone and paint over the areas you want to correct.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to photodrawken

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1DJfYdasFGxB5lPbVejIFgCM7F2e Y

For this picture I replaced the background and added a frame, See print screen  with the layer structure.on the link above.

1. Open picture file
    2. Duplicate the background layer
    3. Access eyedropper tool to sample the two beige colors in the original background, one color for background chip, other for foreground chip
    4. Access the magic wand tool, tolerance=32, contiguous unchecked. Click to remove most of the background
    5. Access the eraser tool to tidy up. The checkerboard pattern denotes transparency
    6. Open a blank layer between the background and background copy layers (Layer 1), go to Filter>render>clouds, then Filter>noise>add noise --3%
    7. Layer 2 is a blank layer used to clone 3-4 spots on the lady's hair
    8. Open a new, blank layer (Layer 3) at the top of the stack, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E on the keyboard to give us a composite layer
    9. Open a blank layer at the top of the stack (Layer 4)
    10. Go back to Layer 3, go to Select all. You should see marching ants around the entire picture
    11. Go back to Layer 4, go to Edit>stroke(outline) selection, with position inside, stroke width=18px, color does not matter
    12. Open the Effects palette, and in the drop-down select patterns, and use the wood pattern, apply
    13. Still in the Effects palette, go to Bevels and select scalloped edge, apply
    14. On layer #4 double click the fx to bring up the Style settings dialog and fine tune the bevel with the slider.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to photodonna

You're welcome.

If you get stuck, let us know.

By the way, in step #6 you can use another background if you wish, e.g. gradient.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to photodonna

See my example in your other post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/986980

I used it to produce this:

sample+image+2+for+background+80.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...