Skip navigation
hank131md
Currently Being Moderated

Is Photoshop worth it?

Apr 8, 2012 9:03 AM

Admittedly I only have PSE7 but I was wondering if anyone else wondered if photoshop was worth the hassle. I see some wonderful work on line and in magazines

but I notice a huge number of problems raised by other useres on this forum and I have spent obver half an hour trying to successfully converta pic to black and white but retain two gold wedding rings incolour in the shot. the conversion went fine but the edges of the rings took on a red shade and when trying to use the stamp tool I find that you cant move colour from one part of the image to the other, it works on a tiny scale and I cant enlarge the image to work on like I can with DPP so I am left trying to make adjustments on a 6x4 image and just cant get the detail.Does it improve on later versions, could I send the part worked image back to DPP to work on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to hank131md

I cant enlarge the image to work on like I can with DPP

Why not? What happens when you try?

I'm not sure what you're doing to make this so complicated, but this:

the edges of the rings took on a red shade

sounds like maybe you're working on the same layer for the conversion and the color and using too large of a feather value for the selection.

You shouldn't have to keep sending an image back and forth to DPP. Maybe if you can tell us the steps you're following, it would be easier to help you figure out where you're going wrong.

But you should definitely be able to zoom way in to work, so maybe start by explaining how you're trying to zoom the view that isn't working for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to hank131md

You don't use an icon to zoom the view. Use the magnifying glass tool (the zoom tool) or just press ctrl + the equal sign key. You can think of it as command plus the plus sign but since you don't need shift adobe prefers to think of it as command plus the equal sign these days.

I don't understand at all what you mean by "color stamping", sorry, and I have DPP, but it should not be necessary.

Here's a simple way to do this in PSE 7:

1. Open your image and press Ctrl+J to duplicate the background layer.

2. In the layers palette, click the new layer to make sure it's active, then go to Enhance>Convert to Black and White to turn that layer black and white.

3. Get out the eraser tool and erase the rings to let the color show through from the underlying layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to hank131md

You'll get some targetted advice for this specific image if you would include the image in your post.

In general, with PSE7, you could make a duplicate of your colour background layer, convert the duplicated layer to B&W, then use the Eraser tool on that B&W image to carefully erase areas of the B&W layer to reveal the colour image below.  Zoom in to get an accurate view of your erasing.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to hank131md

In PSE you would use the clone stamp for that. You will need to first alt-click the spot where you want the stamp to sample from.

EDIT for your trouble with getting the edges, you need to zoom in more and use a smaller brush in those spots.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

If I understand correctly, you wish to convert the picture to b/w, yet retain  the gold rings and diamonds unaltered. Please correct me if indicated.

I would use a mask for this purpose. You have PSEv.7. You posted a picture which has been altered partially, hence I restricted my effort the ring on the viewer's left:

1. Open picture
    2. Duplicate background layer
    3. Convert the background copy layer to b/w
    4. Open a levels adjustment layer between the background and background copy layers. Do nothing with the levels sliders. We shall hijack the layer mask
    5. Clip the background copy layer to the levels adjustment layer with CTRL+G on the keyboard
    6. Left click the mask (the white rectangle) and paint with a black brush to reveal the gold color. If you go too far, correct with a white brush

TIPS: The bracket keys next to the letter P decrease and increase the size of the cursor for the brush tool

x will allow you to toggle between white and black (color chips, lower left)

182778_450_300_cache_2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to hatstead

Further to above, it is even easier to do the following:

1. Open picture
    2. Duplicate background layer
    3. Open a Hue/saturation adjustment layer above the background copy layer. Slide the saturation slider all the way to the left

4. Paint with a black brush to reveal the gold color, correct with white

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to hank131md

Glad to help.  You're absolutely right about PSE usually having more than one way of achieving an effect.  With PSE10, you not only gain all the bug fixes since PSE7, but also features (specifically the ability to create a layer mask) that make your example very easy to do.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to photodrawken

You're welcome. Use of a layer mask is the way to go here. You can make small corrections easily.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to hank131md

You can have both programs on your computer. Don't be in a hurry to remove v.7, esp.if you utilize the organizer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to hank131md

In reply to the original question if you are a Mac user this program is not ready for prime time. Still to many bugs and also things which you can do on a PC you will not be able to do on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to hank131md

Post a screenshot of your layers,  you're probably working on the background image.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points