Skip navigation
dogwithabone
Currently Being Moderated

How do I disable Chinese text in my imported Indesign document? Do I need a script?

Apr 8, 2012 8:51 PM

I am importing text from a document which has chinese. I need to remove all of the chinese text. Any advice with what script to use? Thanks

Andy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 11:40 PM   in reply to dogwithabone

You can use grep search&replace. Search ^.*~K.*, replace with none.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to dogwithabone

Maybe you should go into some more detail about what you mean by "remove" and why you need to do it. The expression above should delete the text, but maybe you are really trying to translate?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to moluapple

Well, that's cool. I'd never seen the kanji marker before. Didn't even know it was there, I've been specifying Unicode ranges in GREP queries to achieve a similar effect.

Does it really remove everything? Let me check... Yikes. This query deletes every line in which Chinese or Japanese glyphs occur. Seems like overkill to me. If you want to delete any paragraph, story, footnote or cell (thx Jongware for WhatTheGrep) that contains any Chinese text whatsoever, even if it's just one glyph in the middle of an entire English paragraph, then this GREP will work for you.  Otherwise, maybe some additional explanation of what you need (did someone give you an uncleaned bilingual Trados file?) might be in order. Or you could tweak the GREP to suit, if you're into that sort of thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to moluapple

Personally, for IDCS4 I'll stick with Unicode ranges, as Joel suggests.  "^.*~K.*" takes out big chunks of adjacent alphabetic text, too. "~K+" might work okay for some of what I do, though I'd want to check carefully.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to David W. Goodrich

I think it's sad that "kanji" includes Chinese text. They're not kanji at all! <shakes fist>

TBQH, I don't think we can suggest anything useful unless we know exactlyh what DwaB is trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I agree with Joel that it's a shame to call Chinese characters by the Japanese term for "Chinese characters."  Of course, it is also a shame that Unicode has sanctified use of "CJK Ideographs" although many students of Chinese culture would prefer "logographs": from their very beginning, most Chinese characters were not "pictures," as Chinese scholars recognized long, long ago.

As for the GREP metacharacter "~K", I guess it goes back to IDCS3 (for search only, not replace) and was paired with "^K" in IDCS4 Text searches.  Who knew?  I wish I did.  Maybe David Blatner did but chose not to mention it in his October 2009 InDesign Secrets piece on using GREP to find Japanese with Unicode text ranges.  The interesting point there, of course, is that the ranges are discontinuous.

Is there a way to find out just what ranges "~K" covers?  A quick test suggests in IDCS4, "~K" doesn't find the 42,711 characters added in CJK Extension B in Unicode 3.1 (2001) -- though you can find them with "[\x{20000}-\x{2A6DF}]+".

David

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to David W. Goodrich

In Chinese version of Indesign, "~K" means "任意汉字" - "any Chinese character". Not full tested, but the Unicode range should be "[\x{4E00}-\x{9FFF}]".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points