Skip navigation
elcee52
Currently Being Moderated

images "not found" in Develop module

Apr 7, 2012 11:32 AM

After successful import, when switching to the Develop module, I receive 'image not found.'

The filmstrip at the bottom of the module shows no images. The images are there when I

switch back to Library. I have to quit LR4. When I repon the catalog, LR opens to the first

image in the Develop module.

Mac OS 10.6.8

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to elcee52

I'm using LR4, the Develop module is very slow. The latest problem has presented real concern. In Develop Module I removed a photo and the whole file was deleated. I found the deleted file in the Windows recycle bin. I restored the file then reimported the file into LR4.

Now I'm concerned about doing work in LR4, I don't what will happen next.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to gaksland

gaksland wrote:

I'm using LR4, the Develop module is very slow. The latest problem has presented real concern. In Develop Module I removed a photo and the whole file was deleated. I found the deleted file in the Windows recycle bin. I restored the file then reimported the file into LR4.

Now I'm concerned about doing work in LR4, I don't what will happen next.

When you try to delete a photo, you have two options: "Remove" or "Delete From Disk". Sounds like you clicked on Delete From Disk, that's the only way to have a photo wind up in the recycle bin.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to elcee52

elcee52 wrote:

After successful import, when switching to the Develop module, I receive 'image not found.'

The filmstrip at the bottom of the module shows no images. The images are there when I

switch back to Library. I have to quit LR4. When I repon the catalog, LR opens to the first

image in the Develop module.

How did you do the import? What disk was the photo on before the import, and what disk was the photo on after the import?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Just happened to think to look in the Windows Recycle bin. I searched the bin for the file name I used in LR4. The search found the file (Storyland). I clicked restore file. I found the restored file in the LR4 directory in Windows right, were it should be. I then went into LR4 and used Import to bring the file in to LR4. I have just gone through the file and everything is there and I have been able to work with the file in Develop Module. This time I have used the flag for deletion option and that worked.

I did not want to lose any of the Grand kids images at Story Land!

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Yes, I have used the delete from disk before with no problem. This time Delete removed the whole file not just the selected image.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to elcee52

elcee52 wrote:

I imported the files directly from the card reader into a  sub-folder, as I have from 1.0.

I think the problem happens only when I have an existing catalog open, then start a new catalog

for new images. LR4 gets confused, but the images are where I expect them on the hard drive.

This is one of many  many mnay reasons why you should use one catalog for all your photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to gaksland

gaksland wrote:

Yes, I have used the delete from disk before with no problem. This time Delete removed the whole file not just the selected image.

THere are multiple different types of selections in the Lightroom Library Module, unlike Windows where a file is either selected or not. You need to be careful to make sure only the file you want is selected (light grey) and others are not selected (medium gray) ... if you have photos selected with both light and medium gray when you do a delete, both selection will be deleted in that situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to elcee52

elcee52 wrote:

I never had a problem until now! I consider one catalog to be a Single Point Of Failure.

Not only are there bazillions of Lightroom users who haven't had a problem using a single catalog (okay, so thats an exaggeration, but I would guess there are hundreds of thousands of Lightroom users who haven't had a problem with a single catalog); but the solution is to make regular backups of your catalog. If my catalog goes bad today, I still have yesterday's catalog, and the day before -- not that my catalog has ever gone bad.

There are many many many benefits to having a single catalog; and many many many disadvantages to multiple catalogs. You have already come across one problem (human error) caused by multiple catalogs, something that will happen over and over again because us humans aren't perfect; but you are avoiding a failure mode that very rarely happens, and can be easily protected against.

It's your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to elcee52

I does sound like it could be a previews issue possibly. Is this an upgraded catalog? If so try deleting the previews folder and generating new ones through being in All Photographs, selecting all then Library>Previews>Render Standard.

Let us know if that works please.

elcee52 wrote:

Let me ask dj a question: in your workflow, do you really meant to say that you import photos and immediately back up, therefore not experiencing human errors?? I have done nothing different than the other 448 times I have imported files since December 2007. I am to believe that my catalog was corrupted in the time between import to moving directly to the Develop module? Wow. I guess it could happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 10:34 PM   in reply to elcee52

Let's see what the Lr team think. I'll make them aware of this issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points