Skip navigation
NormanPCN
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to start Bridge, PS does run

Mar 29, 2012 7:37 PM

I had to run PS 64-bit as administrator and change the scratch disk off my system SSD, but PS no works.

Bridge 64-bit however crashes on startup. Bridge does run as administrator. I moved the bridge cache off of my SSD while running as administrator. The ACR RAW cache is unchanged and in the same location as it is for CS5. I see nothing else in bridge settings that might get a permission problem.

I did not install the 32-bit bridge or PS beta. Only 64-bit.

CS5 all works fine.

Norman

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to NormanPCN

Hello! I've seen other threads with the same issue, including one for CS5.

I'd like to know if you moved your user account out of the C: drive, or just your documents... IE if anything is not standard.

Are you sure that Photoshop Temp was created by Bridge?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to NormanPCN

Hi,

Could you please send a crash dump to me(alonao@adobe.com)? That will help us indentify the exact issue. Below is the instruction about how to enable crash dump on Win7.

1.Copy text below (Marked as blue color) to a text editor and save as a file with .reg extension.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):25,00,4c,00,4f,00,43,00,41,00,4c,00,41,00,50,00,50 ,00,44,\

00,41,00,54,00,41,00,25,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00, 75,00,\

6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

"DumpCount"=dword:00000010

"DumpType"=dword:00000001

"CustomDumpFlags"=dword:00000000

2.And then import the .reg file to the Win7 Registry by double clicking it.

3.Attempt to launch Bridge. Once Bridge crash find the dump file from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps folder.

Any problem please let me know.

Thanks

Adobe Bridge QE

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to NormanPCN

Hi Norman,

I received your crash dump file and investigated it.  Could you please provide following information?

-Did you never launch Bridge?

-Did you install Bridge by administer or not?

-Did you try reinstalling PS to fix this?

-If disable the MMXCore plug-in by removing MMXCore.8BX file from location below, does this still happen?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-Ins\

-Can you paste your System Info here by going to Photoshop Help > System Info menu?

Thanks in advance.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to NormanPCN

Hi Norman,

I reproduced this issue by a trick on my machine. I made the temp folder(C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp) write-protected for current user, then Bridge crashed after launching for a while.

It seems your temp folder pointed to the root of C:\ accidently. Can you run command "set temp" in the Command Line window to see what it output? If it ouput "Temp=C:\", please try reseting the temp folder location and make sure current user has enough permission, then see if the issue is fixed.

Thanks

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to NormanPCN

Thanks for reply. Can you give current user full access to the root of C drive and D:\temp then see what happens?

If needed, can we do a connect session through www.adobeconnect.com to see the issue on your machine?

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to NormanPCN

I'll do a connect session with FotoLinse tonight to see whether I can find other clues. His issue is likely same as yours.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to NormanPCN

Hi Norman,

After connecting FotoLinse, it truned out his issue is same as yours. On his machine, Bridge also will generate a temp file in the root of drive C. It's very odd. But there is a workaound: Turn off the UAC. Can you try this workaround? and I want to know what Adobe products have installed on your machine. How did you install them? What do you change the user profile?

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to aochenglong

Hi Norman,

After more investigation, I think I reproduced the issue.  Here is my steps to reproduce the bug.

0) Turn on UAC of Windows.

1) Chang the user temp folder to a new location(Make sure the new temp folder location doesn’t  exist), say D:\Temp.

3) Launch Bridge 64-bit/32-bit and browse some images. Bridge will crash.

4) Then I manually create the folder D:\Temp, but Bridge still crashes.

5) If I run Bridge as administrator, it always generates a temp file “Photoshop Tempxxxxxx” under the root of C drive. The phenomena is matching yours. But, by default, a user has no write permission for the root of C drive if UAC is on. So this might be the root cause.

Photoshop also has same issue, but it will pop up an error on launch, not crash.

Did you do similar thing as mine?

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:45 PM   in reply to NormanPCN

So we have something in common:

- Changed temp folder location

- Bridge always attempts to generate a temp file in the root of C drive.

As far as I know, there are following workarounds:

-Run Bridge as administrator.

-Trun off UAC.

-Reset user temp folder to default location or create a new user account.

We'll consider fixing this in dot release.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points