Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best way to draw this diagram - circles within circles?

Apr 8, 2012 4:29 AM

Optimising diagram.png

Please don't draw it for me - I need instructions as I come across this sort of diagram often and feel helpless and stressed whenever I see them!

It should be easy - circles within circles which are then chopped up.

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to James_233

Well, the smart thing to do woul be do buy VectorScribe. It has parametric objects, which include partial drawing of slices/ sectors. Makes this a million times easier than anything AI offers natively.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to James_233

You can use the Polar grid but be warned you have to use more division than you need in order to combine smaller units to make larger ones and you have to increase the storke width of the dividers in order to outline them so you can use the pathfinders divide feature to then eliminate unwanted parts.And you might have to maually add a spoke or two back.It is a bit of work it would be good to have an update to the graph tool so charts like this could also be made. That is not likely to happen.

Screen Shot 2012-04-08 at 11.14.58 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to James_233

one way to do it the long way, would be to use the Live Paint Bucket Tool, or if you're in CS5 you could use the Shape Builder Tool.

draw your circles and cutting lines

livePaint1.png

then, use the Live Paint Bucket Tool / Shape Builder Tool on each segment

livePaint2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to James_233

James,

For simple divisions of concentric circular rings like the ones in the OP you may:

1) Create the needed concentric circles (including duplicates) and create full rings,

2) Drag from the centre with the Line Tool where you want to cut and Object>Path>Divide Objects below.

Before dividing, hide/lock the parts not to be cut, such as the Analyze ring.

This works in all versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to James_233

As mentioned by other contributors, this is basic construction work, plus Type on Path objects. If you need it often, consider preparing symbol libraries for that task.

I don't see any important reason to buy a plugin in order to do that kind of illustration.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to James_233

For my part you are welcome, James.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers