Skip navigation
cogn8ive
Currently Being Moderated

Giving up on upgrading

Apr 8, 2012 1:08 PM

Tags: #adobe #upgrade #support #customer #suckage

So as of this moment I just hate adobe, which is strange, because I've loved their products for years. But trying to upgrade from CS3 to CS 5 this past week pretty nearly cured me of that. I have CS3 extended, which was an upgrade from an earlier product. I'll admit, the first part of the upgrade going badly was my own fault - I couldn't find my DVD case. Still had the box, just couldn't find the case... which turned out to be less than a foot from my keyboard, in the back of a desk drawer. Sigh. But the rest of it - definitely on adobe.

The fact that it tells me my serial number is valid, but can't find the version of CS3 extended on my machine. The fact that the several support people I talked were smugly unhelpful. (Except the last, shivashankar, who was trying) I really think, given the responses I got, that Adobe doesn't need live technical help, because the responses I got were definitely worse than a low-grade AI. All they did was paste in responses from their (extremely unhelpful) script. Honestly, it's a sad day when human beings wouldn't pass a Turing test.

I was excited to upgrade to CS5, but it just annoys me no end that it isn't finding my CS3 extended and that I"ll have to choose between paying more than I should to get CS5 extended or settling for CS5 plain. I mean. $370 is steep, given that it's coming out of my own pocket. I don't really want to pay more or lose the animation functionality I have now in CS3. So I'm just going to give up.

Sad to say, I also have dreamweaver CS4 and I was thinking I'd upgrade both, since I see weirdness sometimes when I use them together. Then I went and looked up the reviews on the upgrade and saw that apparently the CS5 upgrade is craptastic and if I upgrade, the software may keep freezing up on me. Oh joy.

So I'm giving up on upgrading. And if anyone is listening - which I kind of doubt, having spent far too much time interacting with Adobe support, they might want to fix this in general. Because they lost around $600 from me, since I'm giving up on upgrading. Plus, I've got a feeling I'm not alone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to cogn8ive

Well, you wrote some nice prose, but perhaps it would have been more helpful to actually give us some tech info, install logs and a description of the actual problem? Not to throw fuel into the fire, but any such issues are always specific, not a generic flaw in whatever you think Adobe does wrong. also did you do the logical first steps like uninstalling all the older Adobe apps, runng the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool and then trying to install with a clean slate?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to cogn8ive

There should be an option to enter the serial number for your qualifying product.  It sounds like this is the step you are stuck at.  Exactly which CS5 product did you purchase and which CS3 product are you upgrading from?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to cogn8ive

Ok the upgrade should be valid if you are upgrading from Photoshop CS3 Extended to Photoshop CS5 Extended.  Is it possible that your CS3 serial number is a volume license serial number or did you purchase a retail copy?

Beyond that there maybe a permission issue which is causing the software to have difficulty with your serial number.  I looked through this message thread and I don't see which operating system are you using?  If you could provide this information I can then provide steps which are relevant to your computer. 

You could also try the steps listed by Mylenium as they are general enough to be platform agnostic.  The steps I would be having you try are basically solving for the same issue but would be a bit more specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to cogn8ive

Cogn8ive I am sorry that you have had a difficult experience with the install process.  When it is convenient for you would you mind private messaging me your CS3 serial number so I can verify it is showing up from our side as being valid.  I am concerned due to the fact that you purchased the software from someone and I want to help ensure you won't have additional problems in the future.

Alterantely if you would like to work directly with our support team they would be happy to decode the serial number for you as well.  For the best assistance, I recommend our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.  Our chat representatives can provide a personalized experience to resolve the issue you have described.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points