Skip navigation
Alex DeJesus 496 posts
Jul 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

HDV Capturing Causes Premiere To Crash

Mar 26, 2012 10:01 AM

Prem Pro 5.5. Windows 7 64 Bit. It actually captures okay, but the application hangs. I am not able to leave the capture window. Only option is to force shutdown of Premiere. What steps should I take to troubleshoot/fix?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

More information needed for someone to help

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

Also... for hdv...

Try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

If HDV split prefents Premiere from crashing then use HDV split, but you should be able to capture with Premiere without crashing.

HDV split is for camera's with tape. Tape camera's do no produce avchd but hdv.

Windows interpretes the footage wrong.

Premiere captures mpeg while HDV split captures in m2t. Basicly the same.

Before we get in a muddle here what camera('s) are you using?

This might be of some help,

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html

Message was edited by: Ann Bens

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

At what point in the procedure do you connect your source camera/deck?  You should not connect it before Windows is up and running - I always open Premiere before turning on my deck, and capture always procedes smoothly.

The blue window that you see in the Premiere capture window is normal - Premiere does not display HDV video during capture; there should be a message about the video playing on source hardware.

When you say that tape transport controls do not work, do you mean that Premiere cannot control your source deck, or that the deck's own controls do not work during the capture procedure?

Are you using scene detect?  Do you select "Tape" for the capture in the Premiere capture window.  What is the destination of your captured video?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Alex DeJesus

I used the XHA1 for a couple years as well before I gave up and bought a JVC GY-700u solid state camera. The capture works, but is finicky.

The first thing I would recommend is rolling your drivers for your firewire back to the Legacy mode. I forget right off how to do it, but Google "Windows 7 Legacy Mode Firewire" and you should come up with a step-by-step pretty quickly.

Secondly, follow this sequence for launching things:

Start Windows. Start Premiere. Plug in and start your camera. Press F5 to launch the capture window. All should work okay after that... launching your camera before Premiere or after the capture window will both usually result in failure.

If you're trying to capture from a live event, look at using OnLocation instead of Premiere... it's designed for live capture and works very well.

The shuttle controls always worked for me if I followed that procedure, but one thing I found was that I shouldn't click the "Stop" button on the shuttle controls when I was done, as that often made it crash. Instead, hit the "ESC" key, and it should stop capturing and write your file. Also, if you use scene detect and it does crash, at the most you'll lose only your last scene as your other scenes will already exist in files. And if Premiere crashes entirely and you load it back up, and you don't see the files in your bin, check the hard drive, because they're usually still there.

I also tried HDV Split for a while, but ultimately found that Premiere did just as good a job at capture and it was one less step to take. I quit using HDV Split when Premiere introduced scene detection for HDV.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points