Skip navigation
Bilbo_bj
Currently Being Moderated

Text quality

Apr 9, 2012 8:05 AM

I am attempting to create a magazine cover with picture and text.  I have sussed out the pictures, but the text quality is rather naff on printing (depending on the font I use)  Any suggestions to how to improve the font or are there particular fonts that work better than others?

Edit...using v6 and Time New Roman and Book Antiqua are printing fuzzy...Aparajita is perfect!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

Printing from what – from the psd-file, a pdf, a flattened tiff, jpg …?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

If you intend to ever print that file properly 72ppi is naturally too low.

But when printing from Photoshop the Type Layers should output as vector/type unless faux-styles are employed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

Type Layers can be identified by their icon in the Layers Panel and hold editable text.

Faux styles may output correctly (faux italic) or may fail (faux bold), in any case they are set in the Character Panel and change the appearance of a font in a way for which there is no proper font available.

fauxBoldScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

Do these automatically output as vector/type?

It furthermore depends on your printer/RIP, I’m afraid, but most printers should nowadays be able to handle PostScript data.

In which case can I rectify without restarting

If you employ a non-destructive workflow you might by simply up-resing; do you place images as Smart Objects, perform any touch-up in the full-res SOs and apply Adjustments as Adjsutment Layers for example?

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

For future such work, if you have InDesign, I think that you will find the Text handling better, especially when going to a commercially reproduced magazine cover. If you do not yet have it, you might want to download a trial, and test it out.

Also, you will find out that besides the quality of the Text, handling it will be much easier.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to Bilbo_bj

I kind of skimmed over the latter part of this thread, but if you were to change the image size to a higher pixel count with resampling of the graphics, it seems to me the text will come out better.

E.g., change it to 300 ppi, same physical dimensions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points