Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

starling framework for mobile content

Mar 25, 2012 8:48 AM

Hi guys.

Just been checking out the new framwwork to harness the power of the GPU via stage3D.

Just wondering if any of you guys know of any great tutorials or are even free to "mock up" some stuff.

Seem to be few people out there. I mean games wise NOT just your run of the mill programmer who doesn't actually know how to make games.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

If you know how to code an application there's not much difference in creating a game as a complex application. Some of the terminology and approaches might be different in very subtle ways but ultimately they're the same. It can still be done in a traditional MVC pattern.

Once you understand that using the GPU means you're coding the work that some of the built-in flash classes used to do for you, the rest is pretty easy. There's not a lot built in to the API to let you use standard flash classes, like a MovieClip. If you want to animate something you need to learn how to use sprite sheets and manually create animations. There's plenty of utils (http://www.texturepacker.com/) to help you make sprite sheets. Here's a starling over video (http://gotoandlearn.com/play.php?id=147) that uses that util that shows you the basic process.

While it takes a lot more code to do seemingly a lot less, starling does resemble the display list and a lot of the way flash already works to bridge the gap. The benefit is a huge performance increase on both desktop and mobile devices. But if you don't know how to make even a single app, you've got a lot more to learn than starling. Especially if you're considering targeting mobile devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

Whatever path you feel most comfortable on as well as the framework supporting your ultimately goals is the right path.

To answer, Starling, Away3D, Flare3D, Unity3D, etc all use Stage3D. There are 2 ways of using Stage3D.

If you expect to use it on mobile devices then you'll be working on AIR for Mobile. Just hit up the AIR forum and you will see mobile is one of the forums. You will need AIR3.2 to utilize Stage3D. In this method you'll produce an IPA (iOS mobile app) or APK (Android app).

Otherwise Flash Player also supports Stage3D. You don't need AIR to use it, just Flash Player 11.x (11.2 is currently out). You will produce the traditional SWF that goes on any website or can be played locally.

It's important to keep in mind that mobile devices are resource strained. Stage3D runs on a layer BELOW the flash Stage, just as does StageVideo. Any children you add to the display list will appear OVER Stage3D. On a modern computer this isn't a huge deal, although mixing Stage3D with the display list hurts performance. On mobile it hurts it a lot. You should plan ahead to use either all display list or all Stage3D. Mix them as little as you can.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

Note they did push this back to 2008. And hey, that's 4 years ago. How old do you expect people who have smartphones to have and in the context, a person with a 4 year old smartphone is probably very used to things "not working".

For the browser you're talking desktop (or android). For the desktop Starling is pointless, just use the normal display list. Any computer will laugh at a properly coded flash piece in AS3. As for android devices with their flash players, that's entirely different. Using starling for android flash makes a lot of sense.

Depends on what your audience is really. Learning to use Stage3D is a good idea overall. It's here to stay, is much faster than anything else and in the future will be a HUGE part of developing in flash. Just look at the timeline of gigaflops per second between GPU and CPU and you'll see why learning to harness the power of the GPU is very much in your interests.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

I do not program games, sorry. I use these engines specifically to speed up my content on devices. I work for global companies like Siemens who expect everything created for them show strong brand and function perfectly. Thus I've always been on the forefront of what runs best.

I wish I could say I can help but this technology is very new for mobile. We're talking a long development cycle with a release ONLY in the last month or so. Expect vast changes and hiccups to what they have but also expect it to mature. Stage3D for the browser isn't all that old yet either although it's a lot more mature than devices and people often liken smartphones to computers when they are basically solar powered calculators in a real comparison. That means you really need to code using best practices and understand the tech you're using to get the best results. Stage3D is too new to really "consult" on for devices. Surely you will find absolutely no "college" courses on it, it's brand new.

Being a gamer since the Commodore64 makes me "in" the gaming industry since I had to program the games by hand from a book that came with it just to play haha, but I'm not a game programmer. Just a standard programmer, jack of all apps rather than master of any.

Good luck with your venture.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

Haha Siemens has a ton of industries. We mostly create content for their PLM and Healthcare divisions which believe it or not is actually pretty fun. It's all about creating huge tradeshow kiosks, ipad apps for salesmen to walk around describing products with in 3d, etc. Ultimately they call it 'work' because it's not supposed to be fun .

I live in the USA, RI to be specific. Smallest state. I started the first LAN gaming center here. That's how much I used to be into gaming. However when I had to play games the whole day because that's what my business was it actually ruined games for me overall. Once anything becomes "work", I don't think it ever really remains fun. That's just me though.

Your optimization of bandwidth will probably lie in making sure you're using a binary transfer, if you're not already. Adobe has a binary protocol to optimize packet transfers drastically already so if you're not already doing that, look into that.

And sure, I'd love to make games. Ultimately a program is a program, whether it involves a boring brochureware interface or an exciting 3d game. It's all just programming. You can hit me up in private message if you want to tell me about what you're doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

I sent you a private message. Look for it in the button bar where your user name is displayed. It should say you have a private message.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points