Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with testing mms.cfg and AutoUpdateDisable=0 or 1

Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing the mms.cfg values to confirm Flash 11.2.202.228 does not check for any updates and I am seeing behavior that I don't recall seeing in the past versions. First I am testing Flash configured to auto update (values AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0) so that I know exactly what behavior I do not want when I set it to not auto update (AutoUpdateDisable=1) - When I have AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 set I would expect that when sniffing the packets I would see Flash check for updates each time I open IE and access a page with flash content, however it seems to only check the first time. For example, I open IE and hit a page with flash content I can see fpdownload2.macromedia.com is being checked which is expected since its not disabled, however if I close IE and reopen it and access a page with Flash content I do not see fpdownload2.macromedia.com hit again. I have attempted to reboot and even wait an hour or two but I never see it hit again. Is there a new setting that isnt documented or one that I am completley overlooking that I need to specify that tells flash to check everytime or am I doing something wrong? The problem is, Flash behaves the same when I have auto update disabled (AutoUpdateDisable=1and AutoUpdateInterval=0) which makes it difficult to confirm it is working as intended.

Note: I am using Netmon to sniff the packets. Mms.cfg is saved in the default installation dir (windows\system32\Macromed\Flash) with UTF-8 encoding.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the Adobe Developer Connection and Blog links in the following FAQ for additional information.

How does the automatic update feature in Flash Player 11.2 work on Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was familiar with the background updater prior to the post however the documentation in the link below still provides directions on how to confirm the autoupdatedisabled value is working correctly. Since the documentation still contained these instructions it led me to believe that even after you have disabled the background updater Flash will use the "old" method to check for updates. Is the section "Test auto-update notification settings" in the link below valid?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/administration-configure-auto-update-notification.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, sorry for the redundant info.  I'll find out the info and post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Thank you very much for following up. While your working on getting some info, I'll try to clarify a little more on what I'm seeing happen.

Each test is with Flash Player 11.2.202.228, with mms.cfg saved in the default installation dir (windows\system32\Macromed\Flash) with UTF-8 encoding. The admin documentation states the background updater is disabled by default, therefore it should be disabled because I have not specified otherwise. To be sure it was disabled I also did each test below a second time but I added SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0 to mms.cfg. With that being said the background updater is/should be disabled and if what I have read (on one of the Adobe blog posts) is correct then Flash is now using the old/traditional method of updating.

Scenario A: AutoUpdate enabled (mms.cfg contents: AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0)

Test Steps/Results:

1.Open IE (this is the first time IE has been opened since flash was installed)

2.Open a web page with Flash content

3.Packate sniffer shows traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com

4.Close IE

5.Open IE

6.Open a web page with Flash content

7.Package sniffer does *not* show traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com

Notes: I have even done tests where I wait an hour or two after step 4 before moving on to step 5, I have also attempted to reboot after step 4 but niether make any difference.

Scenario B: AutoUpdate disabled (mms.cfg contents: AutoUpdateDisable=1 and AutoUpdateInterval=0)

Test Steps/Results:

The exact same a scenario A.

Not knowing when Flash will check for an update again does not allow me to monitor it to ensure it doesn't. It appears it always checks the very first time but I have no clue when it will check again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I've heard back from our installer engineers;

It should check every time.  I executed the following tests on 32-bit Windows 7 with Firefox 11 and IE8, using Charles Proxy.

1. 10.3.183.18:
    • ActiveX: I see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com when first viewing Flash content after installation and upon relaunching the browser.  I do not see the request when refreshing the browser, but the request is made (I tested by deleting and modifying the FlashPlayerUpdate registry key refreshed the browser and the key was created/updated).
    • Plugin: I do not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com, however, the request is sent.  I verified by deleting the FlashPlayerUpdate registry entry and again by modifying its contents. When I relaunch or refresh the browser, the key is created / updated.

1. 11.2.202.228 (selecting ‘Notify me when updates are available’ option)
    • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18
    • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, and the FlashPlayerUpdate entry being created.  I cleared the browser cache and then the request was made.  After that, the request was sent without having to clear the browser cache.  In subsequent tests, I did not see the subsequent requests in Charles, but I confirmed that it was sent because I modified/deleted the FlsahPlayerUpdate key and it was updated/created when I relaunched/refreshed the browser.  This is the only time I cleared the browser cache during this testing.

1. 11.2.202.228 (selecting Install updates automatically when available)
    • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18 and 11.2.202.228 when ‘notify me when updates are available’ option is selected.
    • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, but the request was sent as the FlashPlayerUpdate key was created. And it was updated when refreshing the browser.

1. 11.3.r300.219 (selecting ‘notify me when updates area available’ option)
    • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18 and 11.2.202.228 when ‘notify me when updates are available’ option is selected.
    • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, but the request was sent as the FlashPlayerUpdate key was created. And it was updated when refreshing the browser.

From this testing, it appears that even if the request does not appear in Charles proxy, it is being made, as confirmed with the FlashPlayerUpdate key being updated/created.

I'll find out the exact location of the FlashPlayerUpdate key and post back.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still reading through the post but I believe they are referring to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\FlashPlayer reg_qword LastUpdateCheck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still investigating internally too, I don't like that the registry is being updated but nothing is seen with the network monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright, so I know how this is going to sound but it appears to be working now. Nothing was changed on my client (a local virtual machine), therefore I have no clue why it would work all of the sudden. Luckily, I saved my network captures from previous tests and I researched them to confirm I'm not going crazy but they do in fact prove that the behavior yesterday is not the same as it is today. I no longer see the issue I stated above. When I have AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 set, I see traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com everytime I open IE and access Flash content, this is the behavior I was expecting originally. This also enabled me to confirm that when I set AutoUpdateDisable=1 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 I never see traffic to fpdownload2.macromedia.com, in other words it appears that everything is working as intended.

Quick note in regards to the developers notes above:

I am using IE8 on XP SP3 32-bit vs IE8 on Win7 32-bit. I attempted to replicate the test results the developer noted however when I delete the "LastUpdateCheck" registry key, I never see it re-created (I refreshed the web page and even re-launched IE). I suspect that this key is actually being used by the background updater which I have disabled, I could be completely wrong though and its not used by the background updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines