Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Support for Apple iCloud Photostream?

Oct 23, 2011 1:57 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future rather than having to export from iPhoto, then import into LR?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 23, 2011 7:03 AM   in reply to imacken

Adobe doesn't tend to answer questions about future features.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to imacken

Since LR is cross-platform, my guess is that answer would be "no" anyway, but I have no actual information and, like I said, Adobe doesn't pre-announce future features.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 7:17 AM   in reply to imacken

Oh.  I had never heard of it before and since it was from Apple, I assumed it was Apple-only like most of their stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 7:28 AM   in reply to imacken

I found it on Wikipedia.  I hadn't heard of it before, but regardless Adobe doesn't pre-announce Lightroom features so there's no telling if LR 4 will support it or not whenever it happens to come out.  And doesnt' Adobe's own Carousel compete with it?  I don't pay a lot of attention to all the hundreds of "cloud" services out there.  Maybe a plugin author will support it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 8:31 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Cricky where you been hiding not to of heard of it

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 12:45 PM   in reply to imacken

Yeah...okay, I'll take your word for it.  I don't pay a lot of attention to the cloud services because limited bandwidth makes them impractical, and since I don't use Apple software or hardware, I pay even less attention to their announcements.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2011 10:00 PM   in reply to imacken

Are you thinking for your library, or for the images?

My library is only 3.7Gb, so that is only a 2-3 hour download on a 10Mbit line, on an upload that will be 4 times as long.

Also the libraries are very bloated, once zipped they are ±10% of that size, so would the clould zip the library?

Then would the cloud make a zip copy on your computer, compare it with the zipped cloud in the sky and send the differences?

I agree with imacken, its not a simple process, its fine for the odd doc, or iphone shot photo, but not so simple for LR.

It would be more interesting to see if a company like Super Duper or other backup software companies offer a cloud service, rather than just a basic online backup.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 3:15 AM   in reply to hamish niven

Your Library(Catalog) needs to be connected to you computer (not on a network) since it requires constant fast read /write for every thing you do in Lightroom. Not an option. Could be an option for the actual photofiles provided the "auto write to XMP" is not checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 6:22 AM   in reply to hamish niven

hamish niven wrote:

Are you thinking for your library, or for the images?

My images are 1.8TB, which for me means a 150 day upload 24 hours a day.  Not practical, to say the least.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 6:40 AM   in reply to imacken

imacken wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future rather than having to export from iPhoto, then import into LR?

So we all commented based on this question - see above

then

imacken wrote:

Sorry Hamish, I am completely lost.

What I am talking about is Lightroom having built-in access to Photostream so that the images can be imported (and saved to my folder structure via LR) directly into my library rather than having to export from iPhoto and import into LR.

Where are you importing the photos into iPhoto from? you iPhone? your camera?

You can use watch folders to automatically sync from folders, so would that save you exporting from iPhoto and importing to LR? I don't use iPhoto...

imacken wrote:

I'm asking again, what does this have to do with my original question?  I'm not talking about transfering Libraries to the cloud.  Why are we on this topic?

Because you did not explain what you meant, so people wondered if you were referring to photographs that they'd taken and then them being sent into the cloud as a photostream - which is not practical as myself and others have intimated.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to imacken

oic, the communication between phone /iPhone and iCloud.

I've turned mine off after my service provider for my phone had kittens as icloud consumed about 1Gb of my monthly data and cost me a bomb.

Remember its Apple and Adobe you are talking about, they are not best of friends....

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to imacken

imacken wrote:

Sorrry, I have explained what I meant, but I think that maybe you guys don't understand what Photostream is.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your comments suggest that you are not aware of Photostream as part of Apple's iCloud service.

I guess I don't know what that means.  If you don't upload your images there, how do they get there?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to imacken

imacken wrote:

Every photo from your mobile devices and cameras is automatically streamed to ALL your devices - mobile, desktops, laptops, TV etc.

I don't take photos with "mobile devices" and none of my cameras are in any way hooked to cell or wifi networks.  All my images are on my computer on a hard drive and Lightroom has cataloged them through the import process.  So to get my images to "photostream", I'd have to upload them somehow.

I think you're asking for a procedure whereby your images automatically get to this Apple service through their own methods and then Lightroom automatically downloads them from the Apple service through the import window.  Again, I have no information, but I can't see why Adobe would support that natively when there are so many other similar services including at least two of their own that aren't yet supported natively in Lightroom (Photoshop.com and Carousel).  Maybe a plugin author will support it at some point.  Like I told you originally, Adobe isn't likely to pre-announce new features before they become available so there's no way to answer your original question, "will LR support importing directly from Apple's Photostream in the future".

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to imacken

imacken wrote:

I'll wait and see if there are developments.

That's the only solution, and I did answer your original question.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2011 12:39 AM   in reply to imacken

If someone is giving me some hints about the photostream API of iCloud, I can write a little tool that imports the stream's pictures and stores them in a folder on a Mac...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 12:36 AM   in reply to imacken

Dear Imacken. Reading thru your thread I understand your frustration. Obviously you will not find any help from either Apple, Adobe...Trust me for every small app that can replace any adobe or major apple app I am changing. The level of decreased information and crappy releases is growing from the mastodonts.

Well enough bla bla bla about big companies.

My point is...

To get a solution for your question, how about asking Earth Hobbit more exactly what he means about his offer and what kind of idea and guarantee of support is he willing to give.

Yes thank you EarthHobbit. A small app that makes the photostreams available in a folder on my mac.

Its fine if its just a smart folder. All it needs to do is "create" a folder that gives Lightroom a chance to import and act like a folder when looking in FINDER.

I would happily promise a payment via paypal donation of 10 EUROS for that small feature. If you get more too acknowledge that, you could make enough for your work.

The app should do the following:

Make a folder that shows all recent 1000 inputs in date ordered DESCENDING. (Thats It)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2011 1:45 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Found the path where the photostream is stored

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

The files are then text (XML) files but if you open them with preview.app it show an image

Inside the text file you will find this, if its an Image

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>MSAssetMetadataDateContentCreated</key>

<date>2011-11-09T12:00:07Z</date>

<key>MSAssetMetadataDateContentModified</key>

<date>2011-11-09T12:00:08Z</date>

<key>MSAssetMetadataDeviceID</key>

<string>e843c2b2a11a3549a203d0dfc07ffaaa562d7c20</string>

<key>MSAssetMetadataFileSize</key>

<real>430337</real>

<key>MSAssetMetadataPixelHeight</key>

<real>1200</real>

<key>MSAssetMetadataPixelWidth</key>

<real>1200</real>

<key>MSAssetMetadataStreamIDKey</key>

<string>1313823429</string>

<key>isDerivedAsset</key>

<false/>

<key>k-filename</key>

<string>IMG_0266.JPG</string>

<key>kPLPhotoStreamMasterAssetMetadataKey</key>

<dict>

<real>430337</real>

<real>1200</real>

<real>1200</real>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Good Luck who ever tries to work that one out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2011 2:03 AM   in reply to Sofus Comer

Thanks for this path, however I believe it is more related to backup of your iDevices (iPad or iPhone) than to a PhotoStream link.

I cannot find any documentation from Apple on how to program the PhotoStream. For iCloud documents in general this is not an issue, but pictures do not seem to be there.

So I am keeping looking at ! But if any of you have any reference, then please share.

Le 1 déc. 2011 à 10:45, Sofus Comer a écrit :

Re: Support for Apple iCloud Photostream?

created by Sofus Comer in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

Found the path where the photostream is stored

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

The files are then text (XML) files but if you open them with preview.app it show an image

Inside the text file you will find this, if its an Image

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<real>430337</real>

<real>1200</real>

<real>1200</real>

<key>isDerivedAsset</key>

<false/>

<key>k-filename</key>

<string>IMG_0266.JPG</string>

<key>kPLPhotoStreamMasterAssetMetadataKey</key>

<dict>

<real>430337</real>

<real>1200</real>

<real>1200</real>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Good Luck who ever tries to work that one out.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Support for Apple iCloud Photostream?

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Support for Apple iCloud Photostream?. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2011 2:23 AM   in reply to EarthHobbit

It's only a matter of time the photostream will be incorporated into the MacOS (without the aid of iphoto) then it will simply be a case of adding it to published drives or simply syncing it in LR.

Seems silly it will just be on mobile devices only for the future but i did read on a generic Mac website somewhere it would be rolled out in an update to Lion.

Although i have to say it seems a bit useless for DLSR stuff especially now you can wirelessly sync folders/itunes in IOS5 anyway.  I do that with my jpg portfolio but wouldn't touch it with any RAWS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to imacken

Hi all,

I have found some information and am currently finalizing a little application that can automatically push iCloud PhotoStream pictures to a given folder on a Mac (and even in the LightRoom library).

Will let you know when finished !

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to imacken

I have published my little application that copies pictures from your iCloud PhotoStream folder to a folder of your choice, and which can be integrated with Lightroom.

The application is available for free, however please do not hesitate to support the developper if you like it and want to see it evolve.

http://www.petits-suisses.ch

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to EarthHobbit

Hi all,

I downloaded vesrion 1.1 of PhotoStream2Folder.dmg made by EarthHobbit and it works perfect.
    What it does is checks your photostream with timed intervals (Set by your or default 10 minutes).

Then it copies any images to a local folder by your choice.

With that folder its just ready eddie for your further workflow.

Thanks alot! Donated you 10€

Kind Regards Sofus Comer

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to imacken

It's possible to set up automatic Photo Stream to Lightroom imports using just Automator in OSX...

Instructions from here:  https://plus.google.com/101906353514641308377/posts/e1K1iZZFVbD

Step 1: Create an Automator folder action to copy all files added to your hidden Photo Stream folder to a folder elsewhere on your computer.

Start in Automator by creating a 'Folder Action' workflow. Click 'Choose folder', then press SHIFT-COMMAND-PERIOD while the Automator folder picker is open so that you can browse hidden folders. Choose the iCloud Photo Stream folder here: {USERNAME}/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub

Add a 'Get Folder Contents' action to your workflow, being sure to check the 'Repeat for each subfolder found' option.

Add a 'Copy Finder Items' action to your workflow, selecting a folder where you'd like Lightroom to import from. Something like "/Pictures/Lightroom Import" might be a good idea.

Save your workflow. You've just activated an Automator action that copies new Photo Stream images to a folder of your choosing.

Step 2: Tell Lightroom to automatically import images from this folder. In the Lightroom menu go to: File -> Auto Import -> Auto Import Settings... This will move the files out of the folder you just created and into Lightroom, leaving the hidden photostream directory un-modified so that we don't confuse iCloud or prevent you from viewing your Photo Stream on other iOS devices.

Step 3: There is no step 3. Just go out and take some awesome photos. Next time you launch Lightroom, they'll be there, and your images will continue to be imported on the fly when Lightroom is open.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to portilaj81

portilaj81 wrote:

<...>

Step 3: There is no step 3. Just go out and take some awesome photos. Next time you launch Lightroom, they'll be there, and your images will continue to be imported on the fly when Lightroom is open.

Works like a charm...with one exception...it is extremely difficult--though not impossible--to create an 'awesome' photo using an iOS device

This even works to get images from Aperture to LR.  Just drag the images to Photo Stream within Aperture and they will 'magically' appear in the designated folder in LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to CR Henderson

This even works to get images from Aperture to LR.  Just drag the images to Photo Stream within Aperture and they will 'magically' appear in the designated folder in LR.

That's really neat!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to portilaj81

portilaj81 wrote:

That's really neat!

Yes, it is.  You do have to wait  bit, though.  They don't instantly appear in the folder on my iMac after dragging them to the Photo Stream entry in the inspector.  I suspect they are pushed to the cloud then downloaded from the cloud to be placed in the source folder after which they are transferred with the automator action.  I may be totally wrong here--I'm just guessing, but that is about the amount of time it took for them to appear in LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to imacken

It's good that people are trying to wrestle with this problem but, unfortunately neither EarthHobbit or portilaj81 saw fit to mention that both their solutions require you to already have iPhoto or Aperture installed. So, with all due respect guys, a bit pointless really: "here's a way to avoid having to use iPhoto that.. er.. requires you to install iPhoto"

Back to the drawing board, methinks!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points