Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I increase size of line drawing image and keep/improve quality?

Apr 8, 2012 2:14 PM

Tags: #cs2

I have a few images that are essentially line drawings (B&W) that I want to make larger for presentation (i.e., click for larger size) on our new Website. The current size is not large enough.

If I increase pixel sizes, the quality is terrible. For example, see: www.wilmotcotest.com/products/rivetless-chain/images/standard-chain-dr awing.jpg on our 'test Website'.  [Please note Website is work-in-progress.]

Settings *jpg: Width - 270; Height - 138; Scale styles - Y; Constrain proportions - Y; Resample image - Bicubic

If I increase *jpg to Width - 450; Height - 230, I get UGLY.

When I Save for Web as *gif, I change Width - 450; Height - 230, it still appears fuzzy, although not as much.

Thanks in advance.

K. Glenn Cole

Wilmot Company, Inc.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to KGlennCole

First, I suggest using PNG, not GIF.  You might get better quality overall.

Assuming the images are pixelized, not vector shapes in some master file, you might be able to make use of something like the Alien Skin Blow Up 3 plug-in to upsize them and retain sharp edges.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to KGlennCole

I would convert those Raster Images to Vector. That can be done with a manual "trace" in either PS, or AI, though AI would be my choice. Also, AI might be able to do a good job (at least get you started) with Smart Trace.

Once in Vector, you can Scale Up/Down, with zero loss in quality, and when done, just Rasterize. I think that PNG would be my choice for the output.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to KGlennCole

Great news! Only thing better than Smart Trace (or whatever it's called now), is having the ORIGINALS!

Good luck, and hope that all goes well on the Project.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points