Skip navigation
bbenedict07
Currently Being Moderated

How to enable place a signaure feature

Apr 6, 2012 4:25 PM

Tags: #signature #acrobat_pro_9

I have a PDF form and I want people who view the form and enter data to also be able to use the Place a Signature feature to sign the form.  I created the form from a base PDF and made some minor edits to fields (date formatting, calculating a total).  I added the extended PDF features.  But when I open the form in reader, I still get the warning that says users can not add text or place a signature on the form because of the security settings.  I am using Acrobat 9 Pro to create the form.  Let me answer a few more questions based on what I have already read...

I do not want to use passwords in any way.  I do not need to protect the form in any way.

I do not want to explore digitial signatures.  If I can't get this to work, people will just print the form and sign with a pen.

I am sure I have the extended features becuase when I open the file again in Acrobat Pro 9 and try to add the extended features, I get a message that tells me this is already done.

I want to create a form that when opened in reader has the Place a Signature item enabled.  Please provide precise step-by-step instructions.

Thanks.

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,664 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to bbenedict07

I don't get what you want. The Place Signature feature is used to add a digital signature and should be available on the "Extended > Extended Features" panel, but you say you don't want to "explore digital signatures". Can you calrify?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to bbenedict07

I guess bbenedict07 is talking about the "Place signature" option in Sign pane? Is that right? All Sign pane options are disabled for Acroforms/XFA forms/Reader Extended PDFs in Reader 10.1.2.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to bbenedict07

Open PDF in Acrobat Pro, go to Tools->Forms->Edit. Go to edit mode and add a digital signature field from 'Add new field' option. Close Form editing and save the PDF. Save the PDF as Reader-Extended file so that Reader users are able to sign it from Reader. For this, in Acrobat Pro, go to File->Save As->Reader Extended PDF->Enable Additional features and save. Now if you open this saved file in Reader, you should be able to sign it from the Extended pane.

Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points