Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Command Prompt Generation Gives HH.exe - No Disk Error ??

Mar 1, 2012 6:50 PM

Windows 7 64-bit

RH 9.02.271

Ok. I'm trying out the command prompt generation for an HtmlHelp output for the first time.

I followed the RH documentation to the best of my ability and came up with the following:

rhcl "d:\hg\pcdmisqa\pcdlrn\help\vision\PC-DMIS Vision.xpj" -l "Vision Common CHM"  -o D:\DocProjects\Outputs\common_chm\

The first parameter launches the project, the second defines the build layout, and the third the output.

It generates a help file. But I have these questions / issues:

1) Is there a log file generated to determine if there were problems in the compilation? If so, where?

2) Is there a way to specify the output chm name? It seems to be basing the name off of the xpj filename instead of getting it from the name defined in the layout. I want the file name to be "pcdmisvision.chm". It's giving me "PC-DMIS Vision.chm". It's not a big deal because I can use other command prompt commands to rename it. But still... it'd be nice.

3) When I launch the generated help I'm getting this strange hh.exe - No Disk error:

3-1-2012 7-32-48 PM.png

Clicking any of the buttons shows the above message again. But after clicking three times, it eventually launches the help:

3-1-2012 7-33-02 PM.png

But it launches with this topic as the default... maybe because it's alphabetically the first? It's certainly not going to the default topic specified in the layout. Plus the Index and Contents tabs are missing. I have the hhc and hhk file defined in the project and specified in the layout. The Search and Favorites tabs are working. The Glossary tab doesn't contain any entries (though it should).

If I generate the exact same layout inside of RH everything is generated as expected and desired: TOC, starting page, no hh.exe error...

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? This funcionality seems very buggy to me.

How can I resolve these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to JaredHess

Command line generation is not something I use but Bill Albing wrote an article that is on my site at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/command_line/command_line.htm. Maybe something in that will help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to JaredHess

Wonder if this is it?

Rick Stone recently responded to a post where the user could view the help from RoboHelp, which you can, but not when they opened the file direct. It was on a 64 bit system and Rick pointed out they needed to register the 64 bit version of the HHActiveX.DLL.

Could this also be related to your other problem re merged help?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to JaredHess

That's the trouble with rushed replies, they're rubbish. Hope the other one is better.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points