Skip navigation
Celeste.Caroline
Currently Being Moderated

Using a transparent GIF

Apr 9, 2012 9:56 AM

After an hour of frustration I'm turing to this group feeling totally inept.  I'm trying to insert a transparent image into an existing photo using Photoshop Elements.  I have an original photo I am trying to use as a background (I have tried using this photo in a jpg and a psd format).  I have a second photo I have cut a logo out of and saved to a file with a transparent background (have tried psd, gif, and png formats).  The new logo file has a the checkered background and seems to be transparent.  I open the photo I want to be the background and drag the logo on top of it.  A new layer is created but the transparent logo is surrounded by a gray box.  I cannot see the background image through the areas that should be transparent.  In other words, all the areas of the logo image that has a checkered background turns gray when I copy it on top of the background photo.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Celeste.Caroline

What version of PSE are you using? Try copy/paste instead of dragging, or drag from the layers panel into the background image window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to Celeste.Caroline

You need both photos to be in "RGB Color" mode.

Open your logo, use Image...Mode to set it to "RGB Color", and save it with the transparent background as a PNG file.

Open your background image and use Image...Mode to set it to "RGB Color".  Then you can copy and paste your logo image with the transparency intact.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Celeste.Caroline

Select the move tool and drag the corner handles of the bounding box to scale the size.

Make sure show bounding box is checked in the options bar.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points