Skip navigation
giannis72str
Currently Being Moderated

COLOR MANAGEMENT PROFILE

Apr 8, 2012 10:00 AM

Hello!

I would like to ask this:

I want to export my project and in such a way that the final clip to look the same in every monitor (PC, Mac, TV, even film). The

only way of achieving that is by embeding a color profile. That can be done only in After effects. The  problem is that I use After

effects in order to make the effects or some color correction. You can never use  After effects to render the whole movie.

So, the final render is done by Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro though is not equiped with color management. So how can I embed

a certain color profile when exporting the final project from Premiere?

If I render the clips consisting the whole project in After effects and render them out with the embeded color profile and then

import them into Premiere for the final editing and exporting, will it be possible to maintain the spesific profile, since during clips

exporting from After effects, I checked "include metadata" (on)?

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to giannis72str

Show me a DVD or BR player and a TV that makes use of embedded color profiles. AFAIK these do not exist, so the short answer is NO, it is not possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to giannis72str

No, I'm one of the most well known nitwits around here. OTOH you don't seem to understand display devices, DVD or BR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to giannis72str

giannis72str wrote:

Hello!

I would like to ask this:

I want to export my project and in such a way that the final clip to look the same in every monitor (PC, Mac, TV, even film).

This isn't possible.  Just about every monitor has display settings that can defeat whatever your intention was to view it.  This especially goes for digital TVs that have different viewing modes, and Never Twice the Same Color, NTSC.

The Color Management in Ae is extremely untrustworthy (in many professional opinions), and I'd guess that most people using Ae turn it off completely, and instead use LUTs with their monitor, with the possible exception of people doing film outs.

You can never use  After effects to render the whole movie.

Wrong again.

I think the best you can hope for is to color your project on a high quality calibrated monitor, and just wish and hope that people down line have made a similar attempt to set up their display devices properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to giannis72str

No. Not on DVD, not on BR,

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

giannis72str,

I think that you're misunderstanding how color management works in general. But, before addressing that, here's the simple statement: Premiere Pro does not do color management.

OK, so about that misunderstanding: You don't need to embed a color profile to use color management. The way that color management works is that you tell the color-managed application (e.g., After Effects) what kind of output device you're targeting, and it creates RGB/YUV values in the output such that the colors appear as you intend on that single kind of device.

Yes, you can embed a color profile, but that is for handing off files between post-production applications, so that you can tell another application (e.g., Photoshop) about that rendering intent mentioned above. A DVD player will not read or use an embedded color profile; it just reads the the RGB/YUV values and displays them in its own color space---which you allowed for by creating the color values from a color-managed application.

(BTW, I'm the one who created the video that you linked to.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to giannis72str

Note what Jim said above about color management not being very useful for television, because there are so many settings that the user can tweak on their set (not to mention other parts of the system along the way).

The best that you can realistically do is to monitor/preview your colors on a broadcast monitor as you work and then do a final check of your output on a device of the same sort that you expect your end-users to use.

If you do want to use color management, you can create a master out of Premiere Pro and then bring that through After Effects for creation of multiple outputs for various output devices---but that isn't necessary for a single output like HDTV.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points