Skip navigation
Metabaronen
Currently Being Moderated

Small details disappears when I using eraser tool

Apr 9, 2012 3:04 PM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #cs5 #tool

I've got a problem with the eraser tool. It removes small details that shouldn't be touched.

I guess that there is a setting for  this somewhere but I can't find it :-/

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Metabaronen

Work with selections. Only select the objects, the eraser should erase.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Metabaronen

Maybe you should post a picture. I don't get what you're trying to achieve there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Metabaronen

If you switch to outline view - are those lines really gone?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Metabaronen

There is no eraser setting  you can adjust that will prevent this.

The only settings are the calligraphy-like options that operate with a graphic tablet. You might fix them all to a smaller size and deactivate all pressure sensitivity. Maybe a pressure setting too sensitive in conjunction with smoothing of eraser lines and an area getting too small to be conserved led to this effect.

Another option would be not to use the eraser at all.

Instead create an opacity mask for the blob-brush lines and draw directly in it using a calligraphy brush (or a blob brush).

You could then revert and edit at will.

Only when all is right you'll flatten transparency and things will be erased permanently.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to Metabaronen

This has to be a bug, and it's driving me insane. It was there in CS3 and I just discovered it's still there in CS6. It makes the eraser tool completely useless in many situations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to babianen

It's not a bug; it's just a poorly designed feature. Done right, the Eraser tool should have at long last given Illustrator at least a rudimentary ability to trim artwork containing open unfilled paths—a bare bones basic thing it has always inexplicably lacked. But as implemented, the Eraser fails at even that. The Eraser unprecictably alters the remaining portions of what it "erases." For that, since its belated appearance, I have considered it useless for 99% of what I might ever use it for.

Thus, despite its now five different tools for cutting paths (Scissor, Knife, Path Eraser, Eraser, Shape Builder), it still to this day lacks any proper straightforward ability to simply cut/crop its own artwork. Typical AI feature glut.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points