Skip navigation
OpheliaPDX
Currently Being Moderated

Are there any scripts to change all Caps locked items to bold?

Apr 9, 2012 1:25 PM

I'm new to this program...like, 5 minutes in to using it. I make typesetted catalogs, where there are 850 or so "lots," that all have Caps locked titles. These titles also have to be in all bold. Is there any easy to take my existing text, & make it bold (like a Find/Change)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

Find/Replace can accomplish this.

Being new to the software, you need to determine some things first. Is there a style which has invoked the all Caps? You would edit that style to globally change to Bold.

Insert your curser into the text in question. Open at the Character Styles and Paragraph Style Panels; are there useful styles other than Basic?

If not, you should create a Style for Bold. Open the Find/Replace. Leave the find field blank; lower in the dialog click on the Find Format, click the icon to bring up the attributes. Plunk through the options, how your text is formatted (Styles or local over-rides) dictate what to select in this Find Format.

Click the Replace Format icon below the Find. Set the Bold Style.

Replace All.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

I presume you mean the text was typed in with the caps lock key on so it is all uppercase. There are a number of ways to do this, but which to use depends on waht you have. Do these headings have a style assigned to them? They should, and if they do all you need to do is edit the style definition to use Bold. If not you can do it with Find/Change and GREP, but we need to know if there is any punctuation and whether there is any other text inthe same paragraph, or if the titles stand alone. A screen capture would help, (and take it with non-printing characters visible, please). You can embed it in a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

Sit tight - Myself and perhaps Peter Frame are going to make some recomendations, after making guesses about that screen shot.

Till than, consider closing that file without Saving; or create a copy to work with. You're in for some basics which will reformat quite a bit of that document.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

Did you also type the numbers?

If so, I think (haven't tested, so be careful, maybe try it on a copy) the following GREP find/change should work:

Find ^\d+\s+(\u+[[:punct:]]?\s?)+

Leave the change fiels blank, but set the change formatting to use either a bold character style (best) or bold  in the basic tecxt formatting.

This will fail if there are numbers in the title.

I was going to suggest a nested character style, but the text is so inconsistent that you would need to use an "end nested style here" character to stop it, and I'm not sure that's really much help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

Who's Peter Frame?

My expression will also fail if you have more than one space between words...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Who's Peter Frame?

I think he preceeded me as a press operator years ago; I don't think I ever met him...But there was a Peter Frame

Too many things on my mind

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

Besides the numbers at the beginning? I didn't see any in the screen shot....

This would be a LOT easier if the tiltles didn't run in as part of the same paragaph.  Do you type all of this, or import someone else's typing (not that it makes much difference now that the text is already there)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to OpheliaPDX

Any way, for the future, that you could get your coworkers to add a special character of some sort (you could pick anything, as long as it isn't something you use elsewhere in the text) at the end of the titles? You could then do a find/change for the special character and change it to the end nested style, or a force line break, or even a paragraph return, depending on what you want.

I htink with waht you have right now, though, you can try the GREP and see if it picks up most  of the lisitngs, then fix the few it misses by hand.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points