Skip navigation
prman13
Currently Being Moderated

How to remove arrow pointer in painting tool circle?

Apr 9, 2012 9:46 PM

Tags: #photoshop #7.0 #cursor_appearance #cursor_settings
  1. I'm running Adobe Photoshop 7.0 in Windows 7 Virtual XP mode, since the program won't run in Win7 64-bit mode.  It used to run fine in 32-bit mode. It runs OK in the virtual XP mode, but I find that the circle tool in the painting or clone stamp functions always has an arrowhead in the center of the circle.  It never used to, just the circle for painting or cloning.  How do I get rid of it?  Changing the settings in the Preferences menu does not help.
  2. Also, the virtual mode doesn't seem to allow updating program files, although it updates XP files.  Maybe there is a firewall issue?  I tried to download a Photoshop update file. There was a prompt asking where it should go.  But when I selected a place, and clicked OK, the Next button did not come on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to prman13

For #2 you might download the 7.01 update to your win 7 desktop and copy it to the virtual machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:31 PM   in reply to prman13

Does the arrow look like the mouse cursor arrow?

Maybe if you could post a screenshot someone might know the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to prman13

Extra cursors normally come from bugs in display drivers, bugs in plugins, and sometimes bugs in older tablet drivers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to prman13

You are using an ancient outdated version of Photoshop in a modern version of Windows via the Windows XP Mode virtualization system.  It may just be too much to expect perfect integration.

But one thing you should always check when there are any display issues is whether you're running the latest display driver released by the company that makes your video card.  Display driver updates fix many problems.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to prman13

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound critical of your age, and I too feel pretty old sometimes (I'm no spring chicken - hey, I get the senior discount at Einstein Bros Bagels ).

But in computer terms, Photoshop 7.0 is now almost 6 major versions out of date (Photoshop CS6 is 13.0).

If you had even a reasonably recent Macintosh model, we probably wouldn't even be discussing this, because there would be no way for you to run Photoshop 7.0 at all.

By the way, I'm not sure it's strictly necessary to run Photoshop 7.0 using Windows XP Mode.  I have Photoshop 6.0 installed right on Windows 7 x64 and it runs okay.  Do you have very large hard drives?  Why did you choose to install it using Windows XP Mode?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to prman13

There's no way I know of except to have free space smaller than 1 TB, I think.  That's why I asked if you have a large hard drive.

Try pressing the Caps Lock key to get away from the crosshair cursor.

I'm just guessing that your cursor issue may be a result of Photoshop running in a virtual Windows environment (and you're getting one cursor from the virtual guest machine, and one from the host), but I have no personal experience trying to run Photoshop 7 specifically under Windows XP Mode virtualization.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:25 PM   in reply to prman13

Also if that still happens without the caps lock on, look in photoshop under Edit>Preferences>Display&Cursors and set the Painting Cursors to Brush Size and the Other Cursors to Standard.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points