Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

the 'close pdf' button gone in cs 5.5

Apr 9, 2012 6:41 PM

hi

I have indesign cs3 files utilising the interactive buttons and are then exported to pdf. I have upgraded to cs5.5 and  the 'close pdf' button I created in cs3 no longer works. On double checking the button panel, the option for 'next page, previous page, etc' is still there but the 'close' option is gone. This means the close button on every page of the 24 page documents no longer works. These files are outputed to pdf. Why has this been removed. This is the second button option removed in the cs5.5 upgarde. We lost the email to a friend option 'attached to email' in acrobat and now functions are missing in inDesign!

Beside our clients still wanting this function, there is no way you can close a full page pdf (without menu bar) unless clicking the Esc button on your keybaord. If you are on a tablet it is then really awkard

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to choock

Granted the Close PDF option has been removed in InDesign CS5.5 (I don't know why). But you can still create a button in Acrobat which has that action. Select the button tool and create a button. Choose as an action Execute a Menu Item. Click Add, and choose File > Close.

Not as convenient as doing it in InDesign, but Acrobat has many other menu commands which are not accessible in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 9:59 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Another way to do it is to design the button in InDesign, but to set the action to File > Close in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:15 PM   in reply to choock

Like I said, I don't know why they removed it. One guess: With InDesign CS4, CS5 and CS5.5, InDesign added the ability to create SWF files. If you notice, there are some actions now which are PDF-only; some actions which are SWF-only; and some actions which are for both. They may have found that the  File > Close action wasn't being used by many people (frankly, you're the first person I've run into who uses it), and dropped a couple lesser used commands to add those from SWF output.

Just a guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to choock

You can duplicate one Form Field to multiple pages in one command in Acrobat. Just right-click (ctrl-click in Mac) the field you want to copy and choose Duplicate and set the pages where you want to copy the field.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to choock

I did that with Acrobat 10. Are you using Acrobat 8 or 9? This is a quote from Acrobat 8 help:

1. Select the form field that you want to duplicate.
    2. Choose Forms > Edit Fields > Duplicate.
      Note:  The Duplicate command isn’t available for forms with only one page.

3. Do one of the following:
      • To duplicate the form field on every page in the form, select All, and click OK. 
      • To duplicate the form field on a limited range of pages, click the From button, and type the start and ending pages on which you want the form field to appear.

Note:  Including or not including the page on which the form field originally appears doesn’t affect the duplication process. Including that page won’t create a second copy on top of the original one, and not including it won’t remove the original form field.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to choock

That should be Acrobat 10, may be you have used wrong tool for selection, check following screenshot:

duplicatebutton.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points