Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

large file size results in problems in CS6

Apr 1, 2012 12:52 PM

Tags: #mac #bug #cs6 #feature_requests #suggestion #cs6-beta

i have been using a many layered file in CS6, which indicated it is 1.4Gb at the bottom of the image, but which is 2.5Gb if i check the file size outside Photoshop

can this be amended  so that Ps reveals the true file size?

i am very disappointed to see that the old file size limitation has remanined the same as before (at 2Gb for a TIF) which is at the very least totally disappointing

(and i know it is possibloe toi use PSB (????) files to be able to go upto 4Gb, but what is a PSB file? i might create a PSD file but i have no idea what are the characteristics of this PSB fle so i will ignore that - for the moment at least)

i am able to save the over 2 Gb file, but when i do the save bar does not work properly (gets stuck at 37 or 38% and then suddenly saves after an age)

it also causes all sorts of problems to start  occurring:-

1/ the colour selector (white <> black) boxes do not operate properly - they get stuck and only change after a very long wait

2/ tools become unresponsive and sloppy to use

3/ saving is awkward

4/ Ps feels as tho it is at breaking point

now, you might wonder why i even bring this up when this limitation has been there for ages, bu i am about to buy a 36 megapixel d800 Nikon which will create 212Mb TIFs (3-4 times the size of the TIFs i create with my present d700) and i am already having probelsm keeping the files below 2Gb on some of my more complicated images

before, when i only had about 6Gb of RAM on my G4 there was some logic in limiting the file size, but now, when my MacPro can take upto 32Gb RAM i do not understand why there mioght be any limitation whatsoever

and if i rent a medium sized camera the file sizes will become even bigger

there is a desparate need to allow Ps to work on upto 10Gb files

and to allow this to happen by the release of CS6 proper

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to aaaashy

PSB is simply the Adobe file format for Large files, and it's also the format in which Smart Objects are saved, regardless of size.  Treat it just like a PSD or TIFF.

Don't be afraid of PSB files, they ARE Adobe files, just like PSDs and TIFFs.  As a matter of fact, Adobe formally owns the PSD, TIFF and PSB file formats.

PSBs are just as user friendly.  

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 1, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to aaaashy

Keep in mind that with files that large, you may feel a significant impact from the new Auto Save function when it triggers in the background.  It will use a lot of resources.  You could try changing the configuration of that (it's in Preferences - File Handling).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 1, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to aaaashy

aaaashy wrote:

Auto Save now switched off - i had not even realised Ps did that

thought it was only for consumer apps

Well, to be fair Photoshop seems as likely to crash out and lose your work in progress as any ''consumer app'', and there's been a large cry for Adobe to add the facility. 

I'm sure you understand what you're eliminating by shutting that facility off, but I might suggest re-evaluating your choice when the beta dust settles, and possibly setting it to a long interval instead.  At least if you leave your system alone for hours without having remembered to save the file it will be protected from power failiure, etc.

PSB gives you everything PSD has, without size limitations.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to aaaashy

For large files, absolutely use the PSB format, always.

Smart Objects will automatically save as PSBs, even when Saving As.

There is no loss of information, quality or pixels when saving as PSB.

Just be aware that some (many? a few?) third-party applications may not be able to handle PSBs.

Google PSB format for further details.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to aaaashy

After a crash I was happy to be able to 'recover' the image... left the auto save at the default of 10 mins... except now my file is 3.33 GB big!! Should only be about 900 MB... whoa... as great as an autosave is, this is not do-able on so many levels. Yes, I will lengthen the time for the autosave, but that isnt really a good solution...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Marianne E

Well, to be fair something's likely wrong with your system environment if you're getting crashes.  I've yet to have a single crash, and I've worked on a couple of multi-gigabyte images so far.

Anything of a gigabyte size puts a fair bit of stress on your computer.

Edit:  Check to see if you have enabled Maximum Compatibility, since that can markedly increase a saved file's size because a flattened preview is saved with the file.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yeah, there is something wrong with my system, an old and weak processor.  But even on my 8 core Lion machine with 32 g of ram Ps will crash at times. The particular machine Im using for the beta was being stressed, I'm very demanding, testing limits. And a high rez medium format film scan or a 56 mp file with with multiple pixel and adjustment layers at 900 MB in my world is a small file... multi-gigabytes are a daily occurance. Disabling max comp isnt an option for me. The point is the auto save increases file sizes astromomically.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Marianne E

I wasn't criticising your system's power so much as raising the possibility that some function of the video driver or something has bugs or glitches.  Even up-to-date Mac systems have video drivers with some problems (sad but true).

I shouldn't think Auto Save could be changing the size of the file you're ultimately saving via File - Save As at all.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to aaaashy

Just curious since you are having crashes, what type of system are you on (OS) and what video board does it use?

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Marianne E

An if you are getting crashes on a Mac, please submit every single crash report: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209084#4209084

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to aaaashy

"I shouldn't think Auto Save could be changing the size of the file you're ultimately saving via File - Save As at all."

dont know what to tell you... the 'recovered' file its 3.3GB big, the original is only 800 MB... increases file size seems dependant upon amount of editing performed and how long the file is open... makes sense. The original file is the middle file, the first file was open a short time w/o much editing, I did an intentional 'Force Quit'... second file was 'recovered' after a crash, file having been opened for about an hour with some editiing done...

FileSize.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to aaaashy

Any time you're working on a document in Photoshop, you can see its scratch size, that tends to be around twice the size of the "saved" file and sometimes more.

Since recovered files are from after a crash, Photoshop hasn't had the chance to wrap up the file and get rid of any scratch.

I'm sure if you then open the file, and save it out, the result will be smaller right?

The B in PSB is for BIG files (and stands for Photoshop Big) -- which is what's needed when your file sizes start growing over a gigabyte.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

"I'm sure if you then open the file, and save it out, the result will be smaller right?"

you'd think so, but it wasnt the case, I could not rid myself of the huge file size. Very weird. I even tried creating a new doc and sliding layers over, it was still huge... again, weird.

"The B in PSB is for BIG files (and stands for Photoshop Big) -- which is what's needed when your file sizes start growing over a gigabyte."

actually the 'big' kicks in at over 2 gb... less than that can still be saved as a psd... at least thats my experience...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

Are Auto-Saved files compressed?  Or is that turned off to reduce impact on the interactivity of the session?

A good question for Marianne is this:  To get those -Recovered files, are you opening Photoshop and seeing the auto-saved files pop open, then doing Save As, or are you copying the Auto-Saved files directly from your scratch disk?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:34 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

the recovered files show up in the same folder as the originals... just as you see it in my screen capture....

you can try it yourself using a deliberate force quit...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Marianne E

Maybe that's a fundamental difference between Mac and PC, because in my case (on Windows) the Auto-Saved files show up in a subfolder of my scratch drive, and they just pop open again in Photoshop after a crash (which I have not seen, except for forced). 

The Adobe folks will have to comment on why recovered files are showing up where you are seeing them.  Perhaps we are not yet aware of all the ways Auto Save and recovery works.

I don't use Bridge at all, so anything special in there will be news to me.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to aaaashy

I have always found that there is a disconnect between file sizes and I never really know which is right. This isn't limited to CS6 and it isn't limited to large files.

For the same image I will get one number in the Image Size dialog, which doesn't match the number I get in Bridge, which doesn't match the number I get in my e-mail program when trying to attach the file, or the number the yousendit. com thinks it is,  or the number that Windows gives me when I right click "properties" for the file name. Since I need some sort of order in my life, I arbitrarily decided to assume that Bridge is right and everyone else is wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to aaaashy

FYI regarding Tiff and PSB:

TIFF can go up to 4 Gig although some other apps fail with TIFF files over 2 Gig.

PSB is designed to handle files over 2 Gig, and image dimensions over 30,000 pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:43 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

On both platforms, recovered files should not be in the folder with the original file -- something must be really really wrong with the system directories or permissions for them to end up there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to ckc48

>> For the same image I will get one number in the Image Size dialog, which doesn't match the number I get in Bridge,

That's because you're comparing 2 different numbers.  They aren't supposed to match.

Image size shows you the uncompressed size of the flattened image.

Bridge, Finder, etc. show you the file size on disk -- with all the metadata, layers, compression, etc. applied.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to aaaashy

"On both platforms, recovered files should not be in the folder with the original file -- something must be really really wrong with the system directories or permissions for them to end up there."

well thats helpful....

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Marianne E

Marianne, when you opened Photoshop right after a crash, did the files that were open before the crash (and AutoSaved) just re-open in Photoshop on their own?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to aaaashy

"Marianne, when you opened Photoshop right after a crash, did the files that were open before the crash (and AutoSaved) just re-open in Photoshop on their own?"

no. and honestly i dont remember now whether the files did indeed show up as a second file in the same folder or when i went to reopen the file it opened recovered and with 'recovered' in the file name... probably the latter. i'll recreate the crash when i get a chance

6 is creating larger files in general, tho maybe im overlooking a setting... I worked on an image in 6 and when saving i was informed it had to be a PSB, file size coming in at 3.73gb. yikes. I know this to be extravagant for this image. So, out of curiosity, i opened it in 5 and created a new same size doc, slid all the layers over and saved it as a PSD with no problem... see the screen catpture... same image, totally different file sizes. I have AutoSave turned off, max comp on.

All that said... it occured to me while writing this to try a Purge>All, in 5, on the bloated 6 psb... that allowed me to save it as a psd at a file size at a much more recognizable file size...

CS5+CS6 comparison.jpgPrefs.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Marianne E

As far as why files are larger...  Per the screenshot you posted above, you DO have the [ ] Disable Compression of PSD and PSB files option set.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

so is the assumption is that 5 always compressed and now 6 gives you an option.... why? and why wasnt this brought up before? seems the whole post is a wasted effort since the answer was a check box...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Marianne E

No assumption, it's fact.  The earlier versions compressed their PSD and PSB files and there was no user setting.

There's actually been a way to disable compression, for systems with less processor power than disk space, for a while now - but you had to invoke it through a Windows registry change (not sure how on a Mac, maybe an optional plug-in).  I used to use that tweak, because it would make saving very large files on a fast disk drive quite a bit quicker than when the file is compressed.

But now, given that Photoshop will complete a save in the background and you can just keep working, I'm not sure it's as important as it once was.  I initially turned off compression, as you did, but now I've turned it back on because it doesn't seem to make any difference any longer in usability.

I guess it's a case of where Adobe finally implemented a configurable feature but eclipsed it / made it unnecessary with an even better feature.

And to be fair, this thread was about more than just that checkbox.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

yeah, but that little checkbox was all i needed to know...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 1:51 PM   in reply to Marianne E

Sometimes it takes a while for people to think of these things!    If I'd thought of it right up front I'd have mentioned it (you'll note I *did* mention compression back in post 16).  It just didn't occur to me you might have changed that setting then asked the question why are my files bigger.

Or did you change it yourself?  If not, this could be the tip of an iceberg that's hit the settings migration process ship.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points