Skip navigation
Velzz
Currently Being Moderated

Watching 4:3 DVD back on 4:3 TV, i realize the frame goes beyond "title safe"

Apr 9, 2012 1:13 PM

Does this mean i have to scale my entire project to fit within title safe? Why does this happen?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Velzz

The Title Safe Area is a little bit of a holdover from the days of CRT TV's, and their significant overscan. While thiere is usually some overscan on current HD TV's, it is not like it was with CRT's.

It is still a good idea to do Titles close to the Title Safe Areas (note: they are adjustable in PrPro), just to make sure that if shown on older TV's, or TV's with more overscan, the Text is not hidden.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to Velzz

Don't bother. Leave it as it is. Scaling to correct that will break more than you want and reduce quality visibly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Velzz

Bill Hunt answered both your questions.  The reason for keeping vital info, such as text in Title Safe is to accomodate virtually all display systems, including those with overscan and those without... old and new.  You rarely know with a projection system whether the entire raster is being seen, or if there's overscan.  It depends on the venue, and often the person setting up the projector. 

Think of Title Safe as the Lowest Common Denominator.

I did a convention video last year, where the company doing projection assured me I could use the entire raster.  That video was only going to be seen one time in one theatre.  So, I was able to put the text all the way to the edge.  But, that's something I'd never do if I was going to send DVDs out into the world, where every TV is different.

Eventually, the client asked for a DVD to distribute.  So then, I took the project into Ae, and squeezed the original raster to just inside Title Safe, and left a black border on the sides.  That way, I knew that Granny Oldschool with her 1952 RCA would be able to read all the text just fine.

There's nothing to prevent you from doing multiple versions for different venues, but how do you know if your audience will choose the right version, if you're not there to oversee the screening?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim,

Think of Title Safe as the Lowest Common Denominator.

I like that explanation.

Projection/display systems can be tough, as the editor has zero control over the equipment. Clients manage to come up with all sorts of "stuff."

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points