Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Long movie to fit on DVD... possible?

Apr 9, 2012 2:00 PM

I have a long movie (2 hour 50 minute) to encode to DVD. How should I adjust my settings in media export?

Even draft quailty gave me too big of a file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to VideoCrafters

Well, last time I checked, a DVD5 will give ya 4.7 gigs of storage. So in Media Export Settings, pick your MPEG-2 preset, then go down on the right and look at your estimated file size. If it's larger than 4.7 gigs, then go to your bitrate settings and lower the target bitrate until the estimated file size is lower than 4.7 gigs. I think somewhere around 4300 MB should be safe. Of course the quality is going to suffer tremendously, but this will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to VideoCrafters

I would look to authoring to a DL (DVD-9) disc, or if you absolutely have to use DVD-5's, then do a two-disc set.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to VideoCrafters

Use DVD-HQ  Bitrate & GOP calculator and play around with both DVD and DVD-DL to see what encode settings are suggested. If you material is slow moving, for instance a long interview, you may get by with a single DVD, if it is fast moving, full of action, then use a DVD-DL or two DVD's like Bill suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

As mentioned, your results can depend heavily on the content. I have authored DVDs that long before with very acceptable results, but mostly talking head type of footage. Would not attempt with a wedding reception with lots of motion and flashing lights for instance, image would self-destruct! The calculator Harm suggested looks pretty neat, just tried it. Got the same result using an old rule of thumb, which is 560/minutes=bitrate.

Before spending hours encoding the entire program, I would try encoding a short sample using the suggested bitrate, which is about 3.3, using 2-Pass VBR encoding. Burn the sample to disc and check it out and if you are happy with it, then do the whole thing.

Also, I don't always trust the size estimate in the lower corner of AME because I believe that is figuring PCM audio, and not the actual Dolby AC-3 at 192Kbps that Encore will be using, which produces a much smaller size audio file on the disc.

Your are really pushing the limits of the DVD format at 170 minutes, but it is possible it will look ok depending on the material being encoded.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to VideoCrafters

In the Disc Tab, in Encore, just use the drop-down to select the 8.54GB Dual Layer option.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points