Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Search by Metadata in Filter Bar (LR4)

Mar 7, 2012 6:16 PM

This is upsetting. I try to use the Filter Bar in LR4 to search by metadata, and I keep getting "No Photos Match The Filter", even though the Filter Bar is telling me that 108 photos match the filter.

Please note I have All Photographs selected, and the Filter Bar says 108 photos match "Buffalo Zoo", but there are 0 file types (!!!!), 0 lenses (!!!!) and 0 cameras available in this search. How can that be? How do I get this search to work?

lr4_metadata_search.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Try exiting LR and restarting.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Perhaps there is an interaction with the Map Module, which I was looking at just before I started doing these searches. So, I went back into the Map Module, clicked around, then back to the Library Module, and the problem with the Filter Bar is gone. Not really sure what I did in the Map Module, or how that could make a difference to the Filter Bar ... so we'll leave this as a mystery for right now, and maybe something to think about. I'm going to sleep.

I've seen this before, but never in a repeatable way.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Yep. I was hit with this too. I came to the forum, found this thread, played with the Map Module and now it's fixed (but I've no idea why).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I too have this problem and I too can get the filter to work by opening the map module then returning to the Library. I think dj_paige is correct with the "sticking filter" as I can repeat the problem by;

- Enter map module,

- Right click on the filmstrip and selecting All Photographs

- Click Visible On Map on the Location Filter at the top of the page

- Enter Library module, and select Library Filter

- Right click on the filmstrip and select any folder.........the Metadata now does not work,

- Enter Map module again and notice the Location Filter is now set to None and the metadata filter will work in the library module

I hope this may aid Adobe in fixing the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj.... I used LR4.0

Sometimes I get the beta/release candidates but ever since LR had the big problem with one of their releases a while ago I have been more nervous and usually wait until the full update is posted.

This does not mean I am not a supporter of RC.....as my ideas on big companies using the public to test their products has changed slightly over the years. I now accept that it is impossible for the likes of Adobe to write software and test it on every combination of hardware available globally. So I am now a supporter of  RC.....and like the fact that the public are given the chance to help.

(But if you are listening Adobe...please don't get complacent!!)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I have now upgraded to RC1 and I still get the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Here's how I got it back...had same issue in LR 4 today, found this post online, and couldn't get it back, then finally...

Library > Find...

It pulled up the search box along with my missing filter bar at the tops.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points