Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how does local folder connect to local server

Apr 9, 2012 4:29 PM

I have never been able to figure out the connect between the folder you keep you files in, say a folder in My Documents, and a folder in wwwroot so the localhost can find it.

When you set up the site in Dreamweaver, it asks where you'll store your files.  I put mine in a folder in My Docs for easy backup.  then I give it my localhost b/s for the test server.  you'd think Dreamweaver would put the two together. when I try to display my page, it's 404 looking for the page in a folder in wwwroot.

Will somebody please explain this to me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to kevin319

You can use the wwwroot as the storage for the files or you can point the wwwroot to be your MyDocs instead of the wwwroot.  But if DW is giving you an error, assuming everything is set up, can you verify that the server is running when you go to preview the page?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to kevin319

wwwroot is the default home directory for IIS.

You change that in the IIS manager.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library /IIS/a59a2665-9078-43ef-8b5a-5bf9bcacc95e.mspx?mfr=true

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to kevin319

Hi Kevin,

in addition to SnakEyez02's and John's hints I would like to ask you this:

Do you "produce" your files in DW and store them with DW in the corresponding directories?

After that you load them up into one or some other directories?

If yes, did you control the pathes of the "new" directories?

Nonetheless and for me in particular (due to language barrier), it would be better you could send us a link to the website on your test server.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to kevin319

Kevin, DW asks for a few things and here is a brief rundown:

Local Site Folder - Where your Site Resides on your local computer

Servers --> Server Folder - The local directory of your files on the testing/remote server.  If the testing and local are the same this address can be identical to the Local Site Folder.

Web URL - This is the URL that you would use in a browser to access your site.  If you are using a testing server this should be either an IP, Alias, or "localhost" address to your server.  Let's say your testing server was on the network and not your local machine, DW would then put the files on the remote server and when you hit Live View it would use the remote URL to access your site.  In a small/single-user environment, this is not typically the case, but as you work with larger sites that demand more resources and work in collaborative teams, this becomes a more likely scenario.  So they don't have to be the same directory, but they can be.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to kevin319

Re: pictures - use the camera icon in the toolbar when you reply

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to kevin319

From what I'm getting from you guys, both of these locations should be the same.

It seems like Dreamweaver could skip asking twice.  I guess you don't actually need a test server so the first question is relevant.  DOS being what it is, the second is relevant if you're using a test server.  What if you added the test server later.  Seems like Dreamweaver could put them together w/o having to move everything or sync the folders all the time.

Maybe I'm just being silly.

It appears some images are not loading from your post but from the two I see they appear to be corerct.  In your case you have a separate local, testing and remote locations (mydoc, inet and FTP).  The local and testing don't have to be the same.  They can be, but do not have to be.

The only bad thing I see about your setup is the FTP.  The fact that your host has not given you SFTP or FTPS, basically a secure FTP connection, that's bad.  I would definitely recommend discussing that with your host, but outside of that as long as all your details are setup correctly everything should work fine for you at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to kevin319

From what I'm understanding from this conversation, the local site folder and the address of the local host have to be the same location.  That is if I want to view my pages on my local test server.

No, that's not correct.  Localhost is the name of a local address of a computer.  It's just replaces an IP address, an Alias or a URL.  The local site folder is where your site is stored on your computer.  The testing server is your inetpub address which you are using localhost.  The Testing Server doesn't even have to be your own computer, it can be another server that is not the Remote server and is not your developing machine.

Let's go back to your original post though.

you'd think Dreamweaver would put the two together.

When you started this thread you asked why DW asks you for the information.  But it's not duplicate, although it can be.  There is nothing for DW to put together because each setup is different.  At the end of your post you said you were getting a 404 error.

So next, get us a screenshot of the Site setup for the Testing Server.  When you click to Manage Sites and Edit that site.  Then click on the Servers, and go to Edit your Testing Server.  You should see a Basic and Advanced tab here.  Take a screenshot of the Basic tab only.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points