Skip navigation
ngs2600
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get .psd files to overprint in Illustrator cs5?

Apr 9, 2012 1:35 PM

Hello,

I have a customer Illustrator file.  It has a placed .psd image (flower) and they made another psd file as a solid spot color of the same shape of the flower psd. The solid is where a spot vanish will print on top of the flower.  How can I get the solid spot psd to overprint so I can make just one pdf with all the 4 color a spot colors?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to ngs2600

You shouldn't have to.  The Spot Color will print on a separate plate as intended for the varnish.  If you are trying to limit your plates to just 4 Process Colors, then you will essentially be eliminating the fifth color ( varnish ).  The job could be split into 2 separate prints; 1st print is the Process Color seps; 2nd print would be the solo varnish plate.  But, you shouldn't have to do that ( 2 separate files of the same job ).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to ngs2600

Select the path (object) for the Spot Color (varnish plate) with a selection tool and go to the the Attributes Panle and select Overpinrt Fill.

And make sure it is on top of the Image in the layers panel it does not have to be on its own layer just on top then you can print it or save it as a pdf as separation.

If you do not set it as Overprint AI will see as knocking out the image under it there will be no image so make sure it is set to overprint.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

They are 2 bitmap files, so there is no "fill" to be assigned to O.P.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points