Skip navigation
Clouse Photo
Currently Being Moderated

image crop to 8x10@300dpi failed

Apr 9, 2012 12:23 PM

From a jpg cropped a 24.444 in X 19.556 in at 72 dpi image to 300dpi 10 in X 8 in image - image failed to crop.  Tried again with the 300dpi size I wanted - it again failed to crop.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Clouse Photo

Yes I agree, the "new crop tool is a step backward"   It really only changes the ratio even on a preset. Example: preset 13 x19@ 240 Res.. make a preset and when it auto shows you the crop you click OK

and the images is cropped to that ratio, but wrong numbers, then you have to go and change the "image size " box to 13" x 19" with no help menu I must be missing something??

The demo(all) never crop to a set fix size...

don

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to Clouse Photo

It's pretty simple to enter the values to do such a crop, and you can certainly set yourself a preset, which will make it even easier in the future.

I sense that most of what's being said in this thread is just unfamiliarity tempered with a bit of resistance to change.  You should try to understand the tools before complaining.

Crop1.jpg

Crop2.jpg

Crop3.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Clouse Photo

Noel that fine if you only want a 8x10 preset.

Why do I have to make a preset for each size?

Take a full size image and enter custom 14 x 11 click the check box? what size do you get?

My 23.4" x 15.6 " becomes 17.333 x 15.6... (the ratio is correct) now I must go to image size and enter 14x11 to correct the crop tool!!!

does this look like a better/faster way...what an I missing?

don

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to SCW_K7OSE

You don't have to make a preset.  I mentioned that because (I had thought) Clouse Photo described needing to do the same crop multiple times.

Just enter all the pertinent info in the Size & Resolution dialog, as shown above, which pops open if you hit the R key while the Crop Tool is active.  These are the same fields you had before, just presented differently.

I'm not saying this is quite as obvious/convenient as when all the fields were right out there in the open all the time, but the Crop Tool now has MORE functionality overall, so the interface was changed.  And it clearly IS possible to do what you want in one shot.

Adobe is at the point now where what you see is what you're going to get - they're not going to make changes to the UI in any big way at this stage of the game.  I fully understand if you feel this is not as convenient as it once was, but it's time to start to learn to use it the new way, because it is what it is.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

which pops open if you hit the R key while the Crop Tool is active

I may have been wrong about that.  I thought I had managed that once before.

But you can get that dialog by selecting the entry I showed above with the mouse.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

You weren't wrong,

you just need to be in the crop modal state before the R key functions to bring up the Size and Resolution dialog box.

Select Crop tool

Click on the image anywhere once (this puts you in the modal state)

Press R (brings up Size and Resolution dialog)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Clouse Photo

Clouse, click "R" after you activate the crop tool, ... after it is highlighted, click enter, or click inside the image once to see it become active( rules of thrids etc.) then  letter "R" will bring up box to enter size.

don

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Clouse Photo

I am unable to tell exactly what you are doing Hugh, because I cannot see the screenshots in your previous posts. If you want to crop to a specific image size and resolution, use the Size & Resolution option found in the popup on the Options bar, as shown in Noel's post. If you do not want a preset to be created, uncheck the "Save as Crop Preset" checkbox at the bottom of the dialog. I think this is the workflow that you want.

If you want to crop to a specific size but do not want the image resampled, you can enter the size, *with units*, in the options bar. Note that the image's resolution will adjust as needed to avoid resampling.

If you just want to crop to a specific aspect ratio and do not care what the image size is, you can enter the ratio *without units* in the options bar. In this case as well, the image will not be resampled. The image's resolution will not be changed and the size will depend on how much of the image you select.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points