Skip navigation
michaelyszjuer
Currently Being Moderated

My illustrator 5.1 opens svg file as blank, anyone has same problem before?

Apr 10, 2012 4:09 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #error #adobe

Hi,

I try to open this svg file as attached, which is one of my circuit class design. It will be good to open it in illustrator and do some modification, however, I could open the file with firefox and chrome, but my illustrator 5.1 opens it as blank page. Anyone has the same issue before, or it is just some basic setting problems?

I am a new user of Illustrator, try to catch up a lot of things.

Thanks for your help~

Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 4:29 AM   in reply to michaelyszjuer

Is it possible to share the file...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to michaelyszjuer

Can you please how you have created this SVG , it says <!-- Generator: cds2svg.il  --> , what is cds2svg .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to michaelyszjuer

Even InkScape hates that file.

I was successful in getting it into Illustrator via a circuitous route. But for something like this, I would simply redraw it. While the text is editable, each bit of text is broken into one to three character lengths.

If you want it in AI format, I'll upload it. But overall, I would recommend just redoing it.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to MW Design

Just to know ..mike ...my we know what was the circuitous route you tried top open the file in the Illustrator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to michaelyszjuer

I managed to open the image in illustrator by doing the following trick:

- Open the file in Chrome

- Print to "Adobe PDF"

- Open the PDF file in Illustrator

It may not be exactly what you wanted but it is at least a workaround :-P

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Sure. PagePlus opened the SVG linked to above intact. From there, I exported as a PDF file. That opens just fine in Illy.

I had a more convuluted path into Illustrator originally. If one opts to Open the PDF, there is no clipping mask nor groups. If it is Placed, one needs to ungroup, release the clipping mask and then all is well.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/svg_to_illy.zip

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to MW Design

So in either case we are bringing the PDF in the illustrator not the SVG, hence a workaround

But still wold like to knoe how the SVG is craeted because when I checked the coding , it had lot of componenet missing which are required to open teh file in illustartor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

PP doesn't have an option for SVG export. If it did, it would work fine. The other path I went was to import into Xara Designer Pro and export out of it as an SVG which in turn opens in Illy. But as the goal is to edit it in Illy, it doesn't matter what form it comes into Illy.

I was working in PP when I did the original import / export. DrawPlus, another Serif software, opens the SVG and exports an SVG that Illy can open--one of the SVG export options is to make the SVG Illustrator compatible.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to MW Design

Preciously..that  I know that SVG created using all the option will get open in Illustrator but not this SVG , so how is it created ...It was my first question in the post...

Which software or converter is not getting supported by Illustrator directly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

To me, aside from your question as to how it was created, is why doesn't Illy open a wider range of SVG flavors? I mean, DrawPlus can be had for incredibly cheap. It can do it, why cannot Adobe? And it also amazes me InkScape also cannot open it without issues.

Anyway, without the OP answering how it was created or by what application, your question isn't going to be answered--and mine likely won't ever be.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to michaelyszjuer

Michael--thank you for the information.

Visio can also save out as SVG...would it work for you workflow to simply open them in it, resave out as a new SVG for altering in Illy if needed? But then, if you can edit it in Visio for your needs, I would just use it. Anything else is extra work.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points