Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to PDF all open InDesign documents?

Apr 10, 2012 10:32 AM

Like some sort of script or something instead of having to do all 33 docs separately?

IDCS 5.5 on OSX

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to TwitchOSX

You could combine all 33 documents into a book then you are able to export to PDF from there. However this would create a single PDF for the entire book. To get separate PDF documents from the book, you could use this script: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/pdf_individuals.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to TwitchOSX

TwitchOSX wrote:

And you combine all 33 documents into a book how? =)

In InDesign, File > New > Book. Save the book. When you see the book panel, you can either use the panel drop down then "Add Document" or hit the "+" button at the bottom of the panel. Navigate to your individual documents and they should all load up. Save book.

To get one PDF, use the panel dropdown and select Export book to PDF. To get individuals, download the script linked above, and with the book panel open, double click the script from InDesigns script panel (Window > Utilities > Scripts). Set your options then sit back and watch it work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to TwitchOSX

That action - to export PDF for all open docs - must be scriptable. However, since I am the world's slowest scripter I simly use Peter Kahrel's Batch Convert script, which exports all closed INDDs in a given folder to PDF. Same result, different technique.

Note that it's actually an older script, so I put it in a folder called "Version 6.0" in my script folder.  That makes it so CS5.5 [InDesign 7.5] can use scripts written for CS4 [InDesign 6.0]. And, if you've never installed a script before, Peter also has a handy how-to-install-scripts page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Apparently, I'm on the slowest poster list as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to TwitchOSX

Select all documents and then use the dropdown. The "Export book to PDF" will then appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to TwitchOSX

or deselect all the documents.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers