Skip navigation

FlashBuilder4 eclipse plugin for Eclipse Helios 64 bit version

Jul 19, 2010 2:16 AM

Latest reply: yosrabaccar, Mar 6, 2013 8:26 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2011 4:40 PM   in reply to Mijathi

Another vote for 64 bit support. Reason is simple - frequent out-of-memory errors running Helios with both FlashBuilder and server-side related plugins (JEE, STS, etc). The exact errors depend on eclipse.ini setup, from out of permgen, to cannot create another thread, to just fail to compile Flex project with "Unknown Error", each time requiring an Eclipse restart. Adobe puts a lot of marketing emphasis on "user experience", and in general the FlashBuilder UX gets better with each version (at least if we ignore the context sensitive help, which was MUCH better in FlexBuilder). But this frequent out-of-memory situation is an annoyance, not to mention an embarrassment when showing my HTML / JS dev colleagues how we work.

Keep up the good work. Oh, and give us back Eclipse-based help!

Thanks

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2011 11:57 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

+1 for 64bit .. It's real pain to do any enterprise sized project - you'r loosing to other IDE's here ... no way anyone can justify all time crashes, deployment problems (which rather goes to WTP) and ultimatelly .. very poor maven support - where I don't really see another way of development then with continuous build based on maven

Our project is some 80 flex and 150+ java/groovy projects. The problem is, that what is being recognized as one of the most important features, is the possibility of continuous development/debugging process for UI to Backend code, within single IDE. That contributes quite a lot to the overall flow of developer's daily tasks. AS3/Flex is great stack for UI building, unfortunatelly, it is really difficult to make a case here if you are unable to integrate it into the factory of sw development. 64bit IDE + compiler would be great step ahead in this competition (but only leveling with the others atm).

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 6:25 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

This request has been out for a while - when is Adobe planning on having 64 bit supported?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 6:37 AM   in reply to Kaimeg

Very few developer machines still have less than 4GB Ram and the lack of support from Adobe shows a disinterest in Flex usage in a professional context. Together with the deprecation of Google's map API for flash and other major actors that will follow, I think the safest route is to abandon Flex development all together.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 8:16 AM   in reply to Andrew Shorten

Hi Andrew,

I hope you realize that you are facing a VERY frustrated community here.

We NEED a 64 bit version.  It's been 4 months since your promise to "provide more details in due course."  I think the course is due.

Now with the release of Eclipse Indigo, Flash Builder is again lagging behind a version plus being restricted to a legacy operating mode.

HTML 5 is not a threat in my mind since flex has critical advantages... but in terms of product support...  Major industry level FAIL!!!

Developers are begging you guys for this, we are the reason for your success, please respond to us!

Sincerely,

David K. Coleman

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2011 2:21 PM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

Andrew,

It looks like this has been going on for at least a year, now. You really do need to provide 64-bit support.

Can you at least release a 64-bit plugin, ASAP?

Have a great week.

Take care,

Darwin

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2011 11:45 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

+1 vote for the Eclipse 3.7 version with 64-bit support

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 4:32 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

+1 vote for Eclipse 3.7 64bit support (wow... that's one popular demand and it has been here for 17 months...)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 4:34 AM   in reply to yoni.tsafir

I'm truely beginning to doubt Adobe's commitment to the community.  This is a travesty!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 9:15 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

At this point with HTML 5 and Adobe pretty much dropping Flash on mobile devices I personally no longer care whether there is a 64 bit version of the IDE as I will no longer be doing any Flash/Flex development. I'm sure it's still important to the rest of the community and I don't want to downplay that but for me it's an issue of too little too late. I'm sure I'm not alone

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to MarcPP

Flash on mobile devices is one thing, enterprise development is another.  Flex has a long future in enterprise development.  Big corporations don't want angry birds or gee-wiz animations.  They want applications that look the same everywhere.  A flex app can be cross compiled to air and run on pads, mobile etc (with some minor tweaks of course).  I'm not sure what the gaming future of flash/actionscript is, but i personally don't care.  Most flex engineers are RIA/enterprise developers.  We have absolutely no use for html other than using it to host a container div for our app.  I intend to learn HTML 5 so I don't deprecate myself, but I think your view is seriously limited if  you think that HTML5 is the second comming of the programming mesiah.  HTML 5 has some very focused usefulness but it is not the end-all-beat-all to flex and never will be.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 11:55 AM   in reply to david_kenneth_coleman

Hello,

Without wanting to be pessimistic or finger pointing I have to disagree on the "flex for ever" view. If you ask me the arrival of HTML5 put flex in a EOL state. The absent response by adobe to this thread, Adobe Muse and the arrival of simple tools provided by for example google to transcode flv to html5 says enough.

Not that I think HTML5 is THE future product to focus on. I' m more a believer of a "applications" web but I fear flex is a lost case by then. Sure maintenance will remain for those enterprise applications, but that is it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 2:17 PM   in reply to Mijathi

I honistly think nobody needs to vote anymore. 64bit FB will not come at all.

I think this is true because of al the problems i have with flash builder. Flashbuilder imho is unstable.

The hole reason I need 64bit, is so i can allocate more memory (fb keeps crashing with an OutOfMemoryException, this happent in fb3 and is still happening in fb4.6).

I think they have loads of trouble with building flashbuilder as a stable ide anyway, and they focus on that iso 64bit.

My project will move to html5 as soon as the backlog allows it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2011 3:04 PM   in reply to DanielRijkhof

@Majathi, that may be true to some extent as far as flex is concerned, BUT I don't think HTML5 is the technology to replace flex.  HTML5 from flex is a step backwards from a mature (albeit buggy) API to a very new and unproven one.  I also don't see whole enterprise applications being built in HTML5 any time soon.  like I said it's great for angry birds and bouncy balls...  but I'm not sure it is a VIABLE replacement for the FEATURES of flex.  I'm not debating that flex is facing EOL, but it's very far off.  FLASH on the otherhand is AT EOL.  I think that HTML5 will kill flash, but flex does not really have a viable replacement yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

I vote for a 64 bit flashbuilder!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

All my colleagues and I work with 64bit OS and we experienced performance and stability issues... I vote for 64bit Support!!

Thanks,

Mario

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to mario cerrato

Same here. And the problem is Flash Builder crash all the time on Win7 64 bit

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

+1 for 64-bit FB4

We've hit the memory wall and this is becoming a serious issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

Hello, everyone!

I created a feature ehancement at Flex JIRA of Adobe.

Now, you can vote officially from the following URL.

https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-33228

thanks

Shigeru Nakagaki

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to Pepe.FxUG

+1 for 64bit support.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to RandomReado

+1 for 64bit FB4

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to adamgabor1

+1

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to SaurabhCheenu

The new Flash Builder 4.7 Beta is 64bit, so go for it

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to Ali Sh.

+ 1 for FB 64 bit

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points