Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
timanolan
Currently Being Moderated

Canon 5D Mark III -- Lightroom 4.1 - Edit in Adobe Photoshop not working

Apr 9, 2012 10:46 AM

Hello, I appoligize if this has already been answered, I couldn't find a solution.  I have the new Canon 5D Mark III, and I updated to Lightroom 4.1 so I can import the 5D3 RAW image into LR.  But when I go to "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS5" or "Merge to HDR Pro in PhotoShop", PS starts, but it doesn't load any files. I was assuming this is because the PS Camera Raw is out of date. So I downloaded the cameraraw6-7_r1_win_030612, but when try to install it, I get "Some updates failed to install. Update is not applicable".

I've also tried Rebooting, and trying it, and I've tried the steps outlined here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/983626?tstart=0

What am I missing here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to timanolan

Having the same issue, sorry no solutions as of yet...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to timanolan

Yeah, I have the same issue, even you open it directly in PS CS5.1 or CS6.0, it will not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to timanolan

Do you have the newest (6.7) release candidate for the Raw Plugin installed for PS? The older raw plugs won't open the 5d MIII raw files.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-7.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to brinnert

At least I have, hmm, I actually installed CS6 beta after that, it might the reason why it's not working, but I did installed it again hoping it would work with CS6 as well.

Edit:

I uninstalled Photoshop CS6 and now the camera raw is working fine with my CS5.1, but new lightroom does not work with it. hmm

I installed CS6 photoshop again and verified that it can't use the new camera raw, it's always saying that it's not supported, even my

photoshop cs5.1 is opening the files. The problem was actually that lightroom could not start editing in cs5.1 and cs6 does not support

the new camera raw. No I made new edit in procedure in lightroom for cs5.1 so I can use it, I just can't use those automatic merge panorama, etc

in lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to timanolan

Well, I could not get 6,7 RC working with CS6 at all, and you really need that for HDR pro.

That was my goal also but I there was just no way to get it working, it's actually not

related to lightroom, it's just that the new raw does not work with CS6 and that is needed

for HDR pro. I'm assuming that CS5 is not fully compatible with new lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to JuhaniVaihkonen

JuhaniVaihkonen wrote:

Well, I could not get 6,7 RC working with CS6 at all, and you really need that for HDR pro.

Well, ACR 6.7 will ONLY work with Photoshop CS5/5.5. The version of ACR for CS6 doesn't have the new camera support that's in the 6.7 beta. ACR 7.1 which will come out shortly after CS6 is actually released will. I realize it's confusing with the release of LR4, the RC release of LR 4.1 and the fact that both the general release of CS5/5.5 and the beta of CS6 different camera support. But that's the situation the industry is in. Camera companies don't feel the need to adopt any sort of raw file format (such as DNG) and keep spawing off new cameras which require 3rd parties to try to add support for the new cameras. As a result, users get caught in the middle.

However, DNG Converter 6.7 beta CAN convert the new cameras so that previous versions of ACR (even the ACR 7 in the CS6 beta) can open them. Ultimately, I would suggest people with the new cameras to consider simply using the DNG Converter 6.7 beta and convert the raw files to DNG.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Thanks Jeff

I was hoping that some expert would answer this. So if I just remove the CS6 beta and continue using the CS5.5 with new beta raw, would that also work?

Just a side comment, I still don't understand why lightroom can't use some API interface of the camera raw.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to timanolan

Actually we were talking about the same version kind of, CS5.5 is the suite version that I was meaning, that actually includes the PhotoShop CS5.1 version and you need

to buy it to get it, that's why yours is saying up to date.

At least for my knowledge the only differense between CS5.0 and CS5.1 is the Creative Cloud, hmm, I have to remove my CS6....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to JuhaniVaihkonen

I removed CS6 and reinstalled my production suite cs5.5, even I think it would have been enought just to reinstalll photoshop.

then I reinstalled 6.7 beta and now at least I generated one HDR picture from lightroom using pictures from 5dmk3 just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to JuhaniVaihkonen

JuhaniVaihkonen wrote:

Just a side comment, I still don't understand why lightroom can't use some API interface of the camera raw.

Camera Raw is an import plug-in for Photoshop. Lightroom is a separate application whose plug-in architecture is completely different. They both have the same rendering pipeline so if the versions match, the processing result is the same. But within the feature set, the UI and usability is different. Some of that is due to the way ACR is written to work within the Photoshop SDK. Lightroom's UI is completely different.

With regards to Lightroom and Photoshop interaction and integration, that's when it becomes critical to make sure LR & ACR are at the same relative version. At the moment, because LR4 was released before Photoshop CS6 (even though there's a beta) the timing of processing version gets out of phase. That's why ACR 6.7 beta can handle newer cameras than ACR 7 that shipped with the beta of CS6. LR4.1 beta can handle the new 5d MIII but it doesn't (as far as I know) handle the new D800 and D800E from Nikon. Those are handled in the ACR 6.7 and DNG Converter 6.7 betas.

Yes, it's a problem…a timing problem between the release of cameras and the disconnect for support for those cameras in 3rd party software. Hang in there…it'll get straightened out in a short while.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to timanolan

I don`t think that lightroom have no effect on it, like Jeff said, lightroom uses the same raw but it is integrated into it, this is the reason why they have different timeline on the camera support.

But for me it is looking like something went wrong in your installation, although adobe might be interested of your logs how did happened, well, at least they should be, what I would do, is exactly this. First uninstall(deleting userdata will make cleaner new install but it also might remove some important settings if you have), then reboot, then reinstall, but after this one you need to download updates again to get your system up to date. After this you should be able to install 6.7 RC.

I would like that Jeff still answers that is there some update from CS5.0 to CS5.1 that actually is causing your lightroom HDR merge not working with older CS5.0, actually you could test this. Download the 30-days trial and test that before you uninstal anything, if it is not working then just uninstall everything continue from there. I have noticed with lightroom that it always tries to use the newest Photoshop and if you install newer version from it, it is better to reinstall the older photoshop after uninstalling the newer one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to timanolan

Well, it does not take so much time and you will get basically new installation from photoshop in there, and we could rule out the possibility that you have something wrong in your lightroom at the same time. Reinstalling everything will take time anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points