Skip navigation
Johnathon_ 34 posts
Apr 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Issue with testing mms.cfg and AutoUpdateDisable=0 or 1

Apr 9, 2012 9:08 AM

Tags: #mms.cfg #auto_update

I am testing the mms.cfg values to confirm Flash 11.2.202.228 does not check for any updates and I am seeing behavior that I don't recall seeing in the past versions. First I am testing Flash configured to auto update (values AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0) so that I know exactly what behavior I do not want when I set it to not auto update (AutoUpdateDisable=1) - When I have AutoUpdateDisable=0 and AutoUpdateInterval=0 set I would expect that when sniffing the packets I would see Flash check for updates each time I open IE and access a page with flash content, however it seems to only check the first time. For example, I open IE and hit a page with flash content I can see fpdownload2.macromedia.com is being checked which is expected since its not disabled, however if I close IE and reopen it and access a page with Flash content I do not see fpdownload2.macromedia.com hit again. I have attempted to reboot and even wait an hour or two but I never see it hit again. Is there a new setting that isnt documented or one that I am completley overlooking that I need to specify that tells flash to check everytime or am I doing something wrong? The problem is, Flash behaves the same when I have auto update disabled (AutoUpdateDisable=1and AutoUpdateInterval=0) which makes it difficult to confirm it is working as intended.

Note: I am using Netmon to sniff the packets. Mms.cfg is saved in the default installation dir (windows\system32\Macromed\Flash) with UTF-8 encoding.

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 9, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Johnathon_

Please see the Adobe Developer Connection and Blog links in the following FAQ for additional information.

How does the automatic update feature in Flash Player 11.2 work on Windows?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 9, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Johnathon_

Gotcha, sorry for the redundant info.  I'll find out the info and post back.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Johnathon_

Here's what I've heard back from our installer engineers;

It should check every time.  I executed the following tests on 32-bit Windows 7 with Firefox 11 and IE8, using Charles Proxy.

1. 10.3.183.18:
      • ActiveX: I see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com when first viewing Flash content after installation and upon relaunching the browser.  I do not see the request when refreshing the browser, but the request is made (I tested by deleting and modifying the FlashPlayerUpdate registry key refreshed the browser and the key was created/updated).
      • Plugin: I do not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com, however, the request is sent.  I verified by deleting the FlashPlayerUpdate registry entry and again by modifying its contents. When I relaunch or refresh the browser, the key is created / updated.

1. 11.2.202.228 (selecting ‘Notify me when updates are available’ option)
      • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18
      • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, and the FlashPlayerUpdate entry being created.  I cleared the browser cache and then the request was made.  After that, the request was sent without having to clear the browser cache.  In subsequent tests, I did not see the subsequent requests in Charles, but I confirmed that it was sent because I modified/deleted the FlsahPlayerUpdate key and it was updated/created when I relaunched/refreshed the browser.  This is the only time I cleared the browser cache during this testing.

1. 11.2.202.228 (selecting Install updates automatically when available)
      • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18 and 11.2.202.228 when ‘notify me when updates are available’ option is selected.
      • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, but the request was sent as the FlashPlayerUpdate key was created. And it was updated when refreshing the browser.

1. 11.3.r300.219 (selecting ‘notify me when updates area available’ option)
      • ActiveX: Same behaviour as with 10.3.183.18 and 11.2.202.228 when ‘notify me when updates are available’ option is selected.
      • Plugin: I did not see the request to fpdownload2.macromedia.com in Charles, but the request was sent as the FlashPlayerUpdate key was created. And it was updated when refreshing the browser.

From this testing, it appears that even if the request does not appear in Charles proxy, it is being made, as confirmed with the FlashPlayerUpdate key being updated/created.

I'll find out the exact location of the FlashPlayerUpdate key and post back.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Johnathon_

We're still investigating internally too, I don't like that the registry is being updated but nothing is seen with the network monitor.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points