Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to properly author a project/dvd that plays well in both widescreen and standard formats?

Apr 10, 2012 11:24 AM

Just wondering what special things need to be done so that when playing on  4:3, it looks fine but ill auto upscale on HD TV (Anamorphic)? I'll be using Encore to burn the DVD by the way. Also i should add that i am working with SD footage and need to make it fit the action safe areas, but if played in a 16:9 I would like it to upscale with black bars on the side.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to VidNoob

I would not fil the frame to fit the action save but fill the whole frame. You will end up with black bars all around.

The way a 4:3 dvd is presented on a widescreen tv is determend by the dvd player and tv settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Some of the footage is framed where you really need to see the absolute entirety of the edges.

That is a mistake on the part of the camera operator.

Fire him and reshoot properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to VidNoob

It very normal for a tv to cut of edges, this is called overscan. Some tv's do it more than others.

On the web or pc you wont see this cropping.

When filming or making photografs you have to take this in account: so important stuff is not to be put too close to the edges.

You need to be sure the video fits the frame, if its too large you can scale it down.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to VidNoob

You don't need to do anything special for a 4x3 DVD to be displayed correctly on a 16x9 monitor.  The pillarbox will be added automagically.

Test for yourself.  Rent a DVD of The Honeymooners from Blockbuster, and play it on any 16x9 TV.  If the TV isn't doing any special scaling (which is possible on many of them), you should see the pillarbox and correct proportions.

Simply author your SD DVD as if you were making any SD 4x3, and let the player do the rest.

VidNoob wrote:

Just wondering what special things need to be done so that when playing on  4:3, it looks fine but ill auto upscale on HD TV (Anamorphic)? I'll be using Encore to burn the DVD by the way. Also i should add that i am working with SD footage and need to make it fit the action safe areas, but if played in a 16:9 I would like it to upscale with black bars on the side.

If your SD source is anamorphic, you tell Encore that by setting the proper PAR in the Interpret Footage settings BEFORE you make a Timeline out of it.  Check the Timeline settings in the Project panel to make sure it says "16x9."

Then, Encore will make a "squished" DVD, but the player will unsquish it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points