Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can a cell style be used to auto-insert a glyph into the cell?

Apr 9, 2012 9:26 PM

Tags: #formatting #styles #cell

While designing forms, I use tables and cells.  Many cells  contain certain glyphs inside:  checkbox, a series of dashes, underscores...etc.  Rather than using Find/Replace (which requires me to put something in the cell, run the Find/Replace, then review the results), I'd rather apply a cell style that automatically does it.  Is this possible?  Or does anybody have a good suggestion.  Thank you all!

T

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to thespoc

If you want the certain glyphs inside:  checkbox, a series of dashes, underscores...etc automatically should come up then I believe Grep or Find/replace are good option.

However you can try this :-

Go to Windows-->styles-->Cell  styles

In the cell styles window , Under "General" , choose the "paragraph style"  and under this paragraph style you can add the glyphs as the Bullets and Numbering. and also you can override the paragraph style(being used in cell style)  from any other paragraph using the paragraph style panel.

Dont how good it will be in your workflow

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to thespoc

Styles can only format text, not create it. I think Manish was suggesting that if the cell style included a paragraph style that defined a bulleted list you could use the desired glyph as the bullet, but I think you would still need to insert a paragraph in each cell.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to thespoc

@Peter , yes that what exacly I mean,

@thespoc

YOu dont want any text in the table then , This would be cumbersome honestly , If one develop the script to automate this then it would be much easier

1) Create the text box , and insert the glyphs that you need and place the "Comma" after it.

2) Select the glyph set you have typed along with the "comma" , and then paste it 120 times in the same text box , with "TAB" after every 30 entry

3) Go to Table-->Convert text to table , and in row sepertor choose "comma" and in column seperator choose "tab"

if someone can write the script , in which selected text and get copied and pasted 120 times with "comma" atfer each entry and "TAB" after every 30 entry in a single text frame then it would be much easier for you.

other wise I would also like to know if there is any other esaier method.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to thespoc

1. Type your single glyph or dash or underscores into any (empty!) cell.

2. Copy this cell.

3. Select a range of cells.

4. Paste.

It even works when copying more than a single cell (only rows or only columns), but then you must be careful in your paste-to-selection -- it has to match either width or height of your copy, or an exact multiple of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:42 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Oh,,,much better....Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

@Jongware – thank you for that "trick".

However it does not work, if merged cells are included in your selection. Even if the merged cell's dimension are an exact multiple in height and/or width of the copied one.

I had no issues with single cells (not merged cells) of different width and height.

Of course all properties* of the copied cell will travel over to the selected cell (including different stroke width, color etc.)
    (Tested with InDesign CS5.5 v7.5.2)

Uwe

//EDIT:
    * in fact all properties BUT width and height.

Message was edited by: Laubender

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points