Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Registry problems when installing Flash Player

Apr 9, 2012 6:37 PM

Tags: #help #error #failed #installation #activex #install_failed #flash_player_11 #registry #installation_failure

Hi, first of all, sorry for any misspelling, I'm Argentinian . I'm writing here because I've tried a LOT of ways and solutions to install Flash Player for IE, here some facts:

I mostly use Google Chrome, that has the FP already installed, but i have a problem with the ActiveX control, I can install Flash player 11 for windows but Not ActiveX... i read that that's a tool for IE, so i thought i wouldn't be needing it, but when i tried to execute a program (Game Ranger) it said that i needed ActiveX control and that i didn't have it in my computer.. So i started to check for solutions, etc etc. and finally give it up because i just couldn't do it, but well now I started again because I want to know if it's something important to have..

The problem when installing is this: It starts to download Flash Player.. then install it and when it's in 51% it stops and a message appears saying: registry error. this is what happens when I try to install ActiveX, not Flash Player itself because as I said earlier I can install it...

All I want to know is if there's some way to allow Flash Player installation to change registry values.. because i think that's the main problem.. i think. Thank you for reading.

Edit: Forgot to tell information about my system.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to Anzo07

Windows

1. Download the current 32 bit uninstaller  
    2. Close all browser windows and run the uninstaller 
    3. Restart Windows 
    4. Delete all remaining files and folders located in the following directories. (tip: copy and paste these paths into the path bar in a Windows Explorer window) 
      • C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash 
      • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player 
      • %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player
    5. Verify that the file “FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl” in C:\Window\system32\ has been deleted
    6. Download the current 32 bit installer

32 bit Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Physically disconnect from the Internet and run the downloaded installer

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to Anzo07

Some clarification: ActiveX is part of Internet Explorer, you cannot "install" it.

Flash Player is installed either

• as an ActiveX Control (for Internet Explorer)
    • or a plugin (for other browsers, like Firefox)
    • or preinstalled in Chrome

If you still have problems after following Carl's instructions above, please

• list all files you have in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    • post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file in that same folder

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to Anzo07

If Carl's steps don't clear this up, you might want to give this FAQ a try in case we're dealing with a registry permission conflict:

How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,446 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 11, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to Anzo07

Interesting, the script in the FAQ should have taken care of that for you too.  Did you have to specifically add your username as a user with full access to the folder?  Do you believe that the msi was key in your installation?

If you have a few minutes, I'd like to see what your permissions are so I can try and resolve this for other users.  I've got a script in the following post that outputs the user permissions for these folders and files.  You'd just need to run it once and send me the log.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4311497#4311497#4311497

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points