Skip navigation
sparkwrite
Currently Being Moderated

Burning a Premiere CS5.5 project using third party software

Apr 10, 2012 12:51 PM

HI All. Maybe you can help me. I have just spent a few days creating a promotional video, a pretty simple one using audio from SonicFire, transions and titles from the title maker in Premiere. No fancy stuff from Adobe After Effects, only Premiere Pro CS5.5. It is under six minutes long. I sent it to Encore using the dynamic link like I usually do, clicked the Build button and it started. A moment later it told me "Encode Failed". I have no idea why and it seems after scouring the forum, no one else does either. Could be anything they say and then a bunch of grumbling about poor support. I agree. Anyway, someone mentioned third party software to burn the project with, but I have not been able to find anything that says there software is compatible with Premiere. I really don't want to have to go back and do the whole thing again, hours and hours and hours. This is the first time this has happened and the first project that I really, truley wanted to burn to a dvd as it is a promotional video of an invention of mine that I want to market. It is perfect on the project monitor and plays just like I would like it to play on a DVD, but  DAAAAA! What am I to do? I even thought of videoing the project window with my camera, but I don't think that would look very good. Can anyone give me a hand here. Spark, on the coast in Northern California. I will send a pre-appreciation to anyone who can help. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

Just 'Encoding failed'  is not much to go on.

Might want to answer a few questions first.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961741?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

What am I to do?

Well, most non-professionals hire a professional company to produce their promotional material.

So there's always that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

Back in PrPro, check that do not have any gaps in your Video Stream on the Timeline. That can cause a failure to Transcode - sometimes with a Failure to Return Frame error, but sometimes with a generic Transcoding Failed.

Good luck, and please do let us know more about your Project.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

A simple reboot may solve your problem, but please fulfill Ann's request to provide more info.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

I'm sure you've always been a professional

Of course not.  That's why I hire them when I need to.

Doing the job yourself is fine if it's not "mission critical" stuff, but this sounds like it might be.  A well made promotional video will do a lot to "sell" your invention.  You may be cheating yourself out of success by not hiring that professional producer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

Back in PrPro, check that do not have any gaps in your Video Stream on the Timeline. That can cause a failure to Transcode - sometimes with a Failure to Return Frame error, but sometimes with a generic Transcoding Failed.

Good luck, and please do let us know more about your Project.

Hunt

I've also have had exports fail when there was a Nested Sequence inside my to-be-exported Sequence.  Exporting the Nest, and replacing the Nested Sequence with the exported file in the main Sequence fixed it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

Jim,

Interesting. I have never encountered that, but then probably do not use as many Nested Sequences, as some others do.

Is that when you use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to get the Sequence into Encore, or other?

Thank you for the H/U.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

OK, thanks for the requested info, plus the report on the gap. I have seen a single, tiny gap cause Transcoding to fail, but have seen Projects with 100's of gaps, that Transcoded just fine... ?

Now, it appears that you wish to author to DVD (did not see mention of BD). Looks like you are working with SD material in what I assume is a DV Project.

You are also using ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), to get your Sequence into Encore. If those statements are correct, then let's try a test:

Export your Sequence(s) as DV-AVI, Video-only. Export your Sequence(s) as PCM/WAV Audio-only @48KHz 16-bit. When done, provided that each the Video and the Audio Export fine, Import your DV-AVI Video-only file into Encore as a Timeline. Import your PCM/WAV as an Asset. From the En Project Panel, drag your WAV to the appropriate Timeline, where it will snap into place. Burn to Folder, as a test. Did that work? While it is the "old fashion" way, sometimes it just works better, than ADL.

Good luck, and hope that the Video and Audio will Export perfectly. Please report your success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, I only  have had this issue one time, when my footage was mixed, yet mostly mpg, and I was exporting from Pr to ProRes, so I could make WMVs in another app, as you can't go directly to WMV from Pr Mac.

I'm currently working on a broadcast spot with XDCam HD footage, and I have a nested sequence, and I've successfully exported several H.264 movs for review.

So, my experience so far is that some nested Sequences can cause export failures, others not.  It was definitely the Nest that caused the problem in my first example, because after multiple failures, and as soon as I replaced the Nest with a rendered footage item, the export was successful.

Bill Hunt wrote:

Jim,

Interesting. I have never encountered that, but then probably do not use as many Nested Sequences, as some others do.

Is that when you use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to get the Sequence into Encore, or other?

Thank you for the H/U.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

Spark,

Gaps in one's Audio Track should be of zero consequence. It is the Video, that can be an issue.

Now, what I am speaking of, regarding Video gaps, is any area, where there is zero Video, and none "covering" that space.

Remember, gaps in the Video are not always a problem, but often, they are. Why some cause no issues, and others do, is a bit of a mystery. Still, I fill ALL Video gaps with Black Video, if there are not usable Frames from either of the two Clips, on either side of tthe gap.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

I always like Ann Bens little video for finding gaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I89jYuZYvP8

Also if you dont want to find the gaps you can always add a new video layer on the bottom and place black video on the whole timeline.

If your going to not use Dynamic Link then you should just encode straight to MPEG2-DVD that way Encore does not have to re-encode it again once you bring it in.  Just bring in the video and audio and re-link them in Encore.

I think since you are on a time crunch this way should get it done and you can find out later what was the real reason.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

Just add a video layer and then select everything and move it up one layer and place the black layer on the bottom.

Here is a video.

http://www.screenr.com/y2x8

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

if you have AME just bring that clip in and convert it to something lossless.

if you dont just create a new sequence and export out a lossless video and then bring that back in and swap it out.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to sparkwrite

Here is a good article that Bill wrote.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3791571#3791571

GLenn

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...