Skip navigation
newtops10
Currently Being Moderated

Would this picture work as an enlarged print/canvas?

Apr 10, 2012 2:23 PM

Hello

I have a photo that I'd like to make into some wall art either as a print or onto canvas.  I also have photoshop elements 10 but am new to both photography and PS10 so need some advice, please?

Basically, I want to know if this would work as an enlarged image and also what changes I should make to make the most of it.

I feel nervous just ordering a large print or canvas as am sure it could do with some enhancing.

I'm attching the image.  It's of my daughter and son walking down a country lane on a rather cold damp day.

Many Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to newtops10

Your image did not get attached to your post -- use your browser to visit the forum and use the camera icon at the top of the editing window to attach an image.

In general, you should talk to the service that will be doing the printing and ask their opinion.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to newtops10

I can’t see the image but canvas prints are designed to be viewed on a wall from a distance. That means you can get away with a lower resolution. Say 100 to 120 ppi rather than the normal 240 to 300 ppi. But only experimentation will tell.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to newtops10

Open it in PSE, and use File...Save for Web.  There you can reduce the size to 20%, or whatever it takes to get the image to about 1,000px on the longest dimension.  Using Save for Web will make a copy, so you won't be altering the original image at all.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to newtops10

Save for web is not designed for print. You need to make a test print on paper before committing to a canvas print.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to 99jon

99jon,

Yes, Save for Web in this case is only used to make a smaller image that the forum software will accept as an attachment.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 11, 2012 4:28 AM   in reply to newtops10

For my personal taste I would make a selection of the top right corner which is a little blown out. Then add a levels adjustment to darken and bring back detail. I would enhance saturation to bring out more of the greens and then crop but keeping all of the road.

Finally use Image à Resize à Image size

Check the resample box and type in the dimensions you want and click OK. Try a resolution of 240 ppi for a large print but you could go down to 120 ppi for a canvas print to be viewed from a distance. Experiment to see which produces the best results.

hands.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 11, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to newtops10

Yeah. The cropping will have the effect of zooming. It’s obviously a more personal choice but you may prefer the more distant view down the lane.

If the original is a large file you should be able to produce an acceptable canvas print or a large print for framing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to newtops10

I think that photo would make a very good enlarged print or canvas, because it has a lot of details (in the leaves and tree branches, etc.) that will give the impression of being a "sharp focused" photo regardless of how large of an enlargement you have printed.

To be honest, I wouldn't do anything to the photo in PSE.  By not cropping it, you make the full size available for enlargement so you won't have to worry about the resolution of the image.

The colours are fine as they are, because they are what a cold, damp day looks like and that is an important part of the mood of the picture.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to photodrawken

There is no right or wrong here. It's a great shot.

I used the Sharpen tool to sharpen the backs of the kids and the proximal portion of the walk. In my opinion this adds a dynamic touch, a pseudo depth of field.

183398_450_475_cache+2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:10 PM   in reply to newtops10

newtops10,

Open a levels adjustment layer, and use the right slider below the histogram to brighten the picture a bit. Don't go too far, or it will look fake.

I sharpened the walk before you reach the kids, and the backs of the kids, with the sharpen tool.

If you want to sharpen the entire picture, there are several ways to do it. I did it (just now) by going to Enhance>unsharp mask, and in the dialog entered Amt. 53%, Radius 0.7 px, Threshold 1 level. Experiment.

If you want to sharpen a larger area than I did, a good way to do it is to sharpen the entire picture, then apply a mask, and use a black brush to paint over the area which is to remain not sharpened.

Are you familiar with masks? Elements 10 has a mask which you can apply to a layer. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to newtops10

I don't reside in UK, but lived for about two years in Bexhill-on-Sea a long time ago.

Re masks, have a look at the help file in the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to newtops10

newtops10 wrote:

Are you in the UK, by any chance?  I was wondering if you know of any good, but not too pricey Canvas printing places, online.

I'd suggest not using an online service, if at all possible.  You'll be better served by visiting a print service bureau and talking with one of their knowledgeable staff persons for advice.  The extra cost will be worth it for a picture that you're going to display in a very prominent place for years to come....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,848 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 11, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to newtops10

In a recent test in Photoplus magazine Whitewall came out top for value with good quality on 24in x 16in canvas prints.

Overall winner was Loxley Colour, but they were the most expensive.

http://uk.whitewall.com/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points