Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Outputting PSD duotones from ID - should I specify screen angles?

Apr 9, 2012 9:46 PM

Setup: Two colour book, images in PMS 125 and black, text in black. 125 does not feature anywhere else in the book outside of images.

Should I be setting screen angles via the File -> Print -> Output dialogue, or export the PDF as per usual and let the prepress sort it out at their end? I did ask on behalf of the client about what they wanted and didn't get a proper answer, so I am perhaps a little worried that they aren't grasping the nature of the problem.

Other option is changing the PSD to PS EPS and swinging the angle there, but that gets a little time expensive ...

Would love to hear if anyone else has crossed this bridge.

Nathan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to theendstop

The prepress should really look after the screen angles.

Can you ask them what they want you to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I did ask on behalf of the client about what they wanted and didn't get a proper answer, so I am perhaps a little worried that they aren't grasping the nature of the problem.

If your printer doesn't know how to set screen angles for a duotone, then you should look for another printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to theendstop

If you send plates from ID, it will default that 125 swatch to the same 45 angle as the black which is the worst case scenerio. set the angle to 15 or 75.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to theendstop

Personally, I set screen angles for duotones in PS and save out as a DCS EPS and check the appropriate box--and as I always adjust the curves, I also check that box as well. I generally use 45 k and 75 Ptone as Daniel suggests.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,118 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to theendstop

My postscript printers ignore any  screens or transfer curves saved with an EPS file—the angles I set in the print dialog are always used when I print separations. Angles don't get save in print presets, so I don't there's a way to set screen angles and frequencies on your end that would make it through production downstream.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points