Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video BUGS / Performance in AIR 3.2 and AIR 3.3 - Not present in AIR 3.1

Apr 9, 2012 3:10 PM

Tags: #air #flash_builder #flex-video #video_issues

Hi, I can provide more information as needed but here's the short description:

I have a video app in which my client is providing me with video clips and the app basically just shows the correct video at the right time. When building the app in AIR 3.1, I am able to seek into videos without issue, the videos are able to loop without flickering (older versions of air appeared to have the loop flickering bug), and all is good.

I upgraded the app to AIR 3.2 and now I am seeing:

Strange behavior when a video plays through the app completely and loops into the video: During the second and following playback, the video behaves strangely (sometimes video playback is sped up, flickering, stuttering) and this is not consistent.

Videos are not able to seek to a desired point in time: When attempting to seek, videos will pause, playback will start from 0 and count upwards until the seek point is reached. Then the video will resume.

White screens flashing when attempting to seek.

Technical details (I can provide any details on my environment but not on the videos themselves: provided by client):

• Building the app in Flash Builder 4.6
  • Using Flex 4.6 SDK
  • Tested with AIR 3.2 and AIR 3.3 SDK (baked into Flex 3.6 SDK)

Even when building and testing the app in AIR 3.1. If the client installs the app with AIR 3.2, all bugs are present.

App is completely stable and without errors in AIR 3.1

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 10, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to NooRotic_x

Could you please open a new bug on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  Please include any sample code or applications to help us quickly reproduce the problem.  If you'd like to keep your code private, feel free to email me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com.  Once added, please post back with the bug URL so that others affected can add their votes and comments.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi,

I have the same problem using a Video in Away3D 4 as a background. Runs fine in Air 3.1, but in 3.2 the video shows bugs like speeding up, stuttering etc.

Any solutions on this yet? I would really like to use the AIR SDK 3.2 for threaded video playback.

Thanks,

Matthias

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 17, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to pixelrock80

Hi pixelrock80,

I don't know if NooRotic_x has created a bug against this yet.  I do see yours and we're currently investigating.  For others impacted with this video issue, please take a minute and vote for the following bug:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3164504

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi,

i also have a problem video display with 3.2 and also working in 3.1.

so, when i compile my air mp4 video player with 3.2 and then went to fullscreen , video working half and then going totlly black. with 3.1 i didnt have any problem like that.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to NooRotic_x

This issue is with any simple video, I've created a basic video application in Flashdevelop using Video and Stream objects. Application has basic play/pause/next/previous functionalist. When we play the application within FlashDevelop debug mode, it is working fine. but once installed in AIR, video plays fine first time, from second video it plays 2x-3x too fast with stutter or hangs sometime.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to NooRotic_x

I have an application I created for Air 3.1. It has an interface for 9 items that each have a video. When an item is on screen a video highlighting the item plays. These are mp4 videos, most under 50 mb, and have dimensions of 1280x720. I was running into memory issues and a lingering final frame when the videos replayed, when developing. So to fix, I create a new video object everytime the video is to play (so the last  frame played doesn't linger), and I closed the strream and removed the video object, and had to force a garbage collection when trashing/stopping the video. Because the videos were able to play and be interupted so quickly, the application would run out of memory, this was fixed by forcing the garbage collection. On Air 3.1, these videos played great. Memory was dumped fine.With Air 3.2, the application started to crash everytime one of the videos was opened to play the second time. There was no memory issue or debug error during these crashes. With Air 3.3, the videos did not crash the application at any time, however, the videos are not playing right anymore. The videos bleed color and turn into a kaleidoscope image and the image remains during the whole stream (like the video creates a trailing image).  

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 4, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to j.Beck

j.Beck - Could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  We'd like to try your application out, so please include a test app and project if possible.  If you'd like to keep it private, feel free to send it to me directly at ccampbel@adobe.com.  Finally, please post back with the URL so that others affected can add their comments and votes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:19 PM   in reply to NooRotic_x

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 23, 2012 12:50 AM   in reply to ivan cheung King Tai

ivan - Thank you for posting the bug.  Any chance we could get a sample app/content to quicly regress the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I have attached a source there, just place your flv file there to test.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 29, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to ivan cheung King Tai

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I am having the same problem as some of the guys above. I am using flash professional CS6 on a mac and AIR for Android 3.2.

I have a video that plays absolutely fine on the computer but when on the device video shows as black, I can tell it is playing because of the netConnection.Buffer.Full is triggered.

I would like to revert to an older SDK than 3.2 as I can see from the above posts that it can fix the problem. Is there an easy way to revert to an older version of the AIR SDK with CS6 or am I stuck with 3.2 or higher.

I have had a good google but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Oli

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to OliceProductions

download a Flash CS5.5 maybe easier for you

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to ivan cheung King Tai

Hi Ivan

I have tried with CS5.5 and still have the same issue, I think it must be down to the device...

Another quick questioin, should stage video work when you test the app straight from flash cs6, it doesn't for me..

Cheers

Oli

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris

My client is wanting to order a lot of devices at once is there a list of complatible chips/ devices that will work with "direct render mode"?

Many thanks

Oli

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points