Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Match canon 60d still to canon 60d footage.

Apr 11, 2012 3:49 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

I have a still taken with a canon 60d. I also have movie footage, taken from exactly the same position. I want to match up the still pixel-for-pixel with the footage. The difficulty is that the still is 5184x3456 = 3:2 and the movie footage is 1920x1080 = 16:9

What I want to do, is take the still into Photoshop and crop/resize it so that it is 1920x1080, and it has a pixel-for-pixel match with the movie footage.

Looking at a screengrab from the footage, and comparing it to the still, it's clear that the still is cropped, but I haven't been able to work out exactly what sequence of actions will match the still to the screengrab.

A further complication is that 60d actually records at 1920x1088, not 1920x1080, although After Effects seems to ignore this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to jb.uk

'the right forum' depends on which software you're using - this is the Premiere Pro section. Let us know and we'll move the message to the right place for you.

If you're cropping in PS the easiest way to match the two images (still and an exported frame from the video) is to open the exported frame and add the still as a new layer, move and scale it to match (turn down the opacity on the still to see what you're doing then reset the opacity when done). Then save the file as a JPEG or TIFF, which will crop everything to the document size - as your base layer was the exported frame, the resulting file will be the same dimensions as the video. This of course assumes that the still and video were shot with camera and lens settings so that everything you can see in the video is also present in the still.

Premiere Pro, After Effects etc. can crop and zoom a still image too, but it's easier in PS if all you want is a static image (i.e. the zoom isn't animated).

You will find it tricky to get a perfect 1:1 pixel match, as the encoding for video used on DSLRs doesn't read the same pixels as a still shot does. There's interpolation and sampling going on, so you can get the two layers to be visually the same, but not mathematically.

Canon video at 1088 is always a bit confusing, it's down to the way the sensor polling takes place. Just place the footage into a 1920x1080 timeline at 100% and it'll crop off the left and/or right edges - do not use the 'scale to frame size' feature in Prem Pro or you'll force a resampling of every pixel, and lose a lot of quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to jb.uk

Even if you do line up the still and the video "perfectly" you are going to find that the still photo is a LOT sharper than the video. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to jb.uk

I want to match up the still pixel-for-pixel with the footage.

That may not be possible, simply because the camera does not record the images that way.  The full raster capture, used for photographs, is scaled for video.  Pixels captured with the sensor are thrown out to 'dumb down' the full resolution image for the 1920 x 1080 needed for video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to jb.uk

It might be sampling every other line

That's one common complaint about DSLRs.  In which case, there simply will not be a 1 for 1 pixel match.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points