Skip navigation
Stan Rowin
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4 vs LR 3 Edit In PS CS5 changed?

Apr 11, 2012 6:47 AM

Tags: #lightroom3 #lightroom4 #edit-in

In LR 3, when I would EDIT IN Photoshop CS5, the file would just open in PS. In LR 4.0, it saves  "-Edit.psd" files and opens those in Photoshop. It does this for old raw files from old legacy folders, as well as new ones that were shot with a Nikon D4.  Although the raw plug-in should be irrelevant, because this happens before the hand-off to Photoshop, I do have Camera Raw 6.7 in Photoshop, which works fine.

Can anyone tell me how to NOT write those "-Edit.psd" and go back to the Lightroom 3 behavior? I'm on a Mac.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Stan Rowin

in Preferences/External Editing/  Edit External File Naming

editname.JPG

Frans

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to c.frans w

You cannot prevent that from happening.  If you have ACR 6.7 RC installed then sending raw files to Photoshop should work like it always has.  But nothing is really different except for when the PSD file is created.  Once you have modified a file in Photoshop a new PSD or TIF file must be created because Photoshop does not write changes to the raw images.  It's just that when you have the current ACR the file isn't created until after your Photoshop editing is finished.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Stan Rowin

If you have ACR 6.7 RC installed correctly, then everything should work has it has in the past.  However, as soon as Photoshop CS6 and ACR 7 is released, it will be necessary for you to either upgrade your Photoshop or you'll be working on the PSD file anyway.

To reiterate, if you are sending raw/DNG files to Photoshop, regardless of what version of Photoshop you are using, it will be necessary to create that PSD file (or TIF, depending on your preference setting) when you are finished working in Photoshop.  Photoshop cannot write changes to raw images.  The only difference is the point at which that file is created.  When your Lightroom and Photoshop/ACR are current it appears that you are editing the raw image data.  That title only indicates where the image data came from.  At the end of the Photoshop editing session the new file has to be created.  If you are working with an older version of Photoshop/ACR that cannot read all of the Lightroom adjustments the best choice to make in Lightroom is to " render using Lightroom".  That option will create the PSD file first because you want to include all of your Lightroom adjustments.  Otherwise, the older ACR would ignore new features and those adjustments would not transfer to Photoshop.  This is always the way Photoshop and Lightroom have worked for me.  When I was using Lightroom 3 with Photoshop CS3 I always had to create the TIF file first.  If you are not being prompted for that, perhaps you have checked the "don't ask again" check box.  You might have to reset your warnings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Stan Rowin

Stan Rowin wrote:

Lightroom 4.0 Camera Raw 7.0

Click on a raw file. Go Edit in Photoshop CS 5 <CMD><E>

Hum, Camera Raw 7 won't work in Photoshop CS5. Do you mean Camera Raw 6.7? Or are you using the public beta of Photoshop CS6 with Camera Raw 7? It makes a difference...

There are two Lightroom behaviors and which one it uses depends on whether or not the Lightroom version and Camera Raw version match. When LR and ACR are in sync, Lightroom will communicate with Photoshop and simply pass off the file to the installed ACR for rendering. Using a script called Bridge Talk, Photoshop will tell Lightroom where it saved the file, assuming you do. In this case, there is not rendered image file created until you save it.

The second behavior is when LR and ACR are out of sync. In this situation, Lightroom has to render the file and send it to Photoshop. This requires LR to both render and then save the file. Photoshop then opens that saved file.

The only way that the first behavior can be maintained is when LR and ACR are in sync...which will require Camera Raw 7.x in Photoshop CS6 with Lightroom 4.x. And that's the way it's working with the public beta of Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4.1.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points