Skip navigation
msabeln
Currently Being Moderated

How to extract all images sizes from InDesign?

Apr 10, 2012 11:59 AM

Tags: #sizes #reporting #photograph

My publisher uses InDesign for creating books. I do not own the product, as I can't justify the cost at this time.

I provided the photography for this book, and I need to accurately determine the image sizes that he used, so that I can use Photoshop to edit them to look best at the sizes used in the publication.

Is there a report that he can generate from InDesign, which will give me the image names along with the final image dimensions? I'd rather not go to his office and write all this down manually, as there are hundreds of photos I need to process.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to msabeln

Go to "Books panel" flyout menu, 

Select the option "Package book for for print" , Note :- no document should be selected otherwise the option would be "Package selected document for print" which would be incorrect

UntitledBOOK.png

A new dialog box will pop up  for package ,,,, click on "Report" and save this file , it is the text file which will have the deatils of all the links used in the book along with there name and effective and actual ppi.

Untitledreport.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to msabeln

Manish is right on the money if a Book file was used - in InDesign, a Book file is a collection of chapters, each one of which is a separate InDesign file. If your publisher made your book from a Book file, then his instructions are correct. However, if your book is a single InDesign file and not contained within a Book file (which is actually pretty normal), simply open up that file and use File -> Package to achieve the same ends.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to msabeln

I don't know why you guys think the package report is going to help here. Links may show up in the package files list, but it isn't going to give the dimensions at which it was used, as far as I know, and that was the information that was requested.

I do think, though, that this is probably scriptable. Ask over in scripting: InDesign Scripting

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Heck. You're absolutely right, Peter. The way I remembered it was that I had found the size used for a single image in a report. However, that was a looong time ago - and now I remember that I derived the size used in the InDesign file from the physical size of the PSD (which we still had) plus the actual & effective PPI. The OP is in a roughly analagous situation (has the PSD, doesn't have the INDD, needs to know the image size used), but with hundreds of images instead of just one. So I guess that my suggestion is basically useless, unless the OP happens to have access to the report, and really enjoys VBA in Excel. Chances are pretty low, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I don't even see the resolution information in the reports...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

You are right Peter.....my mistake.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to msabeln

It's certainly possible to write a script specially to do this. A script can write out a comprehensive report with all image file names, the page they appear on, and the final dimensions (as well as any further information you would like, provided it's available from within InDesign).

It's even possible someone already wrote something alike. Ask in the scripting forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/indesign_scripting

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points