• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying paragraph styles between documents

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that contains some text that I want to copy to another document. The original text is tagged with a paragraph style called Body. If the document that I'm copying into already has a paragraph style called Body defined, then when I copy the text into this document, it applies its Body paragraph style to the text I'm copying into it. Is there a way to copy the text and maintain the text styling from the original document (overriding the paragraph style in the receiving document)?

I am using InDesign CS5.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

You will achieve your goal by just using basic Edit > Paste but you should try putting it in an empty, new text box. It keeps the appearance and will override your Body style leaving a + next to it. I advise you to create a new style with this though especially if you're later sending it to print.

If it's not doing that, you may have character styles applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Paste without formatting.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything for me.

In document 1, I have a paragraph that is tagged with style Body that is Arial-Narrow, 16 pt. font size and 21 pt. leading. In document 2, there is a style Body in the paragraph styles list; it is Arial-Narrow, 9 pt. font size and 9.5 pt. leading. I selected the entire paragraph in document 1. I click in a text frame in document 2. Whether I choose Edit > Paste or Edit > Paste without Formatting, the resulting paragraph in document 2 is Arial-Narrow, 9 pt. font size and 9.5 pt. leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To keep the formatting but not the style name, after you choose your text in the first document, choose Break Link to Style in the parpagraph pallet before you copy the text. If that doesn't work, check to see if there is a character style applied, and do the same to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected the paragraph in document 1. I chose Break Link to Style in the Paragraph Styles palette. I clicked in the text frame in document 2 (which only contains one empty paragraph that is CenterAlign, Arial-Narrow, 7 pt. font size and 7.5 pt. leading) and chose Edit > Paste without Formatting. The paragraph ends up formatted like the empty paragraph that was in that text frame to start with (7 pt. Arial-Narrow, centered), which is not what I want either. The copied paragraph is 16 pt. Arial-Narrow, LeftAlign in document 1 and I want it to end up that way in document 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. Which style do you want to keep?

The style in the document it’s being pasted from or pasted to?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you use Break Link to Style, use a regular Paste (not pate without formatting). This will keep the orginal fomatting, and not pull in the style name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake. Sorry! When I used Edit > Paste, it worked as I wish. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have manual overrides in the text?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some boldface text in the middle of the paragraph but it's not tagged with a character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will achieve your goal by just using basic Edit > Paste but you should try putting it in an empty, new text box. It keeps the appearance and will override your Body style leaving a + next to it. I advise you to create a new style with this though especially if you're later sending it to print.

If it's not doing that, you may have character styles applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Either delete the Body style in the document you're pasting it into, or import the Body style from the original document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines