Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dynamic link in Premiere

Apr 11, 2012 9:38 AM

Hi

I have saved intros as seperate AE files for different chapters.

I have one Premiere file with multiple sequences, first 2 sequences went OK when I created a dynamic link and inducted the AE comp for first and second chapter. When I am trying to insert comp through dynamic link for the 3rd chapter, it is always showing comp meant for the last chapter which is intro_10. Means I have 10 AE files for 10 chapters.

I never had this kind of problem and really getting confused for not being able to sort this out.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to VibrantGraphics

Use unique names for your AE comps.  Do not use numbers at all (or if you really have to, spell out the number with letters - i.e. "Chapter One").

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to VibrantGraphics

"intro_part_1.ae" or "intro_part_2.ae"

Don't do that either.  Keep all comps for a specific project in one AE file.

And don't use any numbers for that file name either.

The short answer here is just don't use numbers for anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

And don't use any numbers for that file name either.

The short answer here is just don't use numbers for anything.

I gotta' ask, Jim.  What's your reason for this?  I use numbers all the time.  I do multiple versioning of spots and projects, and everything ends with 01, 02, etc, so they'll alphanumerically sort in Project windows and Finder views.  Using "one" and "two" messes up sorting.

When I send multiple versions of mp4 to clients, I tell them that the current version is always the highest number.  Avoids a lot of confusion.

And BTW, a tip for alphanumerically sorting is to use leading zeroes:  001,  002, etc., because some applications look at the first digit, and you can end up with sorts that are : 1, 10, 11... 7, 70, 71, and so on.

Is this a Windows thing?  Because Macs have no problems that I've seen from using numbers in file names.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points