Skip navigation
jbauchnycrr
Currently Being Moderated

how do i keep my swatch fill pattern from moving???

Apr 10, 2012 8:52 PM

help!!! i am using illustrator cs5...i have an image i created on one document that i am copying to a new document...when i copy / paste the image into the new document, all my swatch fill patterns have shifted / moved. the image i've created has many swatch fills with very precisely positioned swatch fills. is there a way to lock the swatch fills so they don't move when copying into a new file. please note...i have already checked and the "pattern" box is already checked under transform. also note that my documents are different sizes...but should that make any difference. i'm wondering if this has something to do with the axis points...but if i'm copy and pasting into a new doucment...should'n't the axis positions automatically be the same??? HELP!!!!! thanks! jason

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

It behaves as it has ever been. It's one of AI's severely sore spots. You could expand the patterns prior to your copy&paste. Otehr than that you'll have to reposition them using the transform options...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:08 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Instead of Cmd C – Cmd V, try Cmd C – Cmd F

There are other workarounds as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Double click on the Artboard tool and make sure that the artboards in both documents are position at 0 for X and Y. Then paste in front/back/place should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

In the Artboard options before the X and Y field there is a reference point control for the coordinates, make sure that the reference point is on the top left corner.

the other option that will keep the pattern the same is to place the graphic as a link using File > Place but the first suggestion is better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

If you right click on the placed file is Edit Original one of the options?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Can you please provide a sample .ai file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

I tested my suggestion and it works fine here. I created interactively with the Artboard tool two very different size artborads and on very different places on the working space in two separate documents. Then created a box with pattern on one of the documents, made the X and Y of both artboards at 0 with the same top left reference point, copy the box and paste in front (Ctrl + F). I tried it several times with rotating, scaling, and moving only the pattern, and then again with moving and rotating the box and pattern - it worked perfectly all the time. Using CS5 on Windows.

Try my steps again with two new documents to make sure it is not something else related to an existing file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Put the file onto a filesharing server (like Google Docs) and post the download link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

jbauchnycrr wrote:

emil,

still not working for me....

You mean you tried the simple test I suggested earlier with two new documents and it is still not working?

I'll check the file using your link when I have a minute - you can disregard the private message I sent you with my e-mail.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Does the shifting also happen when you first disable the Paste Remembers Layers option in the Layers palette menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Checked the file and got identical result but only if I paste with "Paste Remembers Layers" unchecked. You can assess this control from the popup menu in the Layers panel. If I preserve the layers something is affecting the transformations but it doesn't seem to be the pattern problem.

Capture.JPG

edit: Oh, didn't see Kurt already found the same thing .

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Yeah, you are right, there is shifting in the pattern, However with pasting the layers preserved there is a huge transformation shift of the elements which is fixed by pasting all on one layer. The problem seems to be to this particular file and this needs a closer look

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

It is still will be helpful if you check the steps I mentioned in post 13 and confirm if a simple pattern in a simple document works fine when pasting to another document. This will ensure that there are no additional issues outside your particular file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

I would say your file is corrupted. Check the following test:

I deleted all the content and additional layers in your document and then created a pattern box with each of the patterns in your swatches and made various transformations of the patterns and the boxes. when I copy paste from your document to a new one, the patterns are shifting but when I  copy/paste from the new document to any additional new documents with different artboard sizes the patterns stay identical.

Capture.JPG

I don't think you have much choices here but to use the Place function.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

I get comparable, but slightly different results as shown in post 21.

It may be a case of corruption. Or it could be a subtle bug that is rather hard to catch.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

I checked this out as well and no matter how I paste this art and no matter what possible options it still paste any where on the canvas as one would expect. No need to paste in front or the like the only thing that effects it in any way is to use the Paste Remebers layers which needs to o9ff.

So my think ing is that your preferences are corrupt and or a font cache file or a software conflict exist.

For the preferences

For the Mac

1. Quit Illustrator.

2.Go to User/username/Library/Preferences/ Adobe illustrator CS# Settings and trash the settings folder, the whole folder not just the contents of the folder..

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

For the PC

1. Quit Illustrator.
    2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder.
    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

Font cache files do a search on your computer for any file such as this

AdobeFnt07.lst te 07 can also be 01 or 11 but everything else the same.

I did a search for AdobeFnt and got the match.

\

Once you find them you delete them.

Now before you do this I am not at all certain this is the cause but worth a try all that will happens is you loose your setting in Illustrator and cache files will be rebuilt fresh by your system. No harm will be done and you may fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I checked this out as well and no matter how I paste this art and no matter what possible options it still paste any where on the canvas as one would expect. No need to paste in front or the like the only thing that effects it in any way is to use the Paste Remebers layers which needs to o9ff.

Are you really sure about that?

The shiftings are pretty subtle and may be overlooked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

So my think ing is that your preferences are corrupt and or a font cache file or a software conflict exist.

That's why I asked jbauchnycrr to make the simple test I suggested in post # 13 to make sure that this is not something outside the file. If the preferences are corrupted the simple test will show the same problem. If the problem is only in this file, it could be a bug caused by series of certain order of steps and manipulations which will be very hard to nail down.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

I wouldn't recommend going the "trash preferences" route here.

It won't help you in that case, I'm pretty sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

What Operating System do you have?

As far as Kurts alarm I don't see how he can know that it is not a corrupt preference.

.What you can do to test this is to create another user account log in to that user account open your document create a new document copy and paste and see if you still have the problem.

If it does not happen on a newe user account it could very likely be the the prefeences.

But in order to find the settings folder we need to know your OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade,

probably a superfluous waste of time, but

Ask yourself: So far, has anyone reported that the objects inside the sample file we are talking about do behave as expected when one transfers them to another document?

No one but you.

If it had to do something with the AIPrefs, then it would also mean that you are the only person with clean preferences. All other users here would suffer from corrupt preferences. Pretty unlikely.

Inspect the file again. You will see slight shiftings. You have probably just overlooked them.

Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Jason, I had same results as others, tried all the different ways. Your problem might be in your swatches being mirrored, try creating pairs of swatches, one for left and one for right side, instead of ONE swatch applied to a path and that path being flipped.

swatch.gif

I did that to your original (had to reposition the pattern) then copied and Pasted in Front on another doc ( the same size as yours ) with paste remembers layer off, it seems to work. I only tried this big pattern.

sweater.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to jbauchnycrr

Copying your RGB document into a new cmyk document, the patterens shift

I did a swatches >> add used colors, then swatches flyout menu >> selected Unused color & delete. That basiclaly added new swatches and the unused ones were the exisitng ones. Strange.

Copying your RGB document into a new RGB document, the patterns stay in place, but the layer order gets rearrranged even with paste remembers layers.Select All and grouping your RGB doucment, andpasting into a a new doucment works fine, except all your itmes arte on the same layer now.

Not sure why document color affects the positioning of the patterens, and I was keeping  align to pixel grid off.

Untitled-1.jpg

Sorry can't look into this more, but wanted to report what happened before my plane leaves, incase this helps. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

When I made the test I mentioned earlier , I deleted all of the content of the file including the swatches and layers, created brand new layer and a pattern swatch from one of the default library that comes with Illustrator - the problem was still there - copy paste from this file shifts the pattern while any other file works fine.

And this is not a problem with the preferences, if it was it will do that to any file I create, the problem is only with that particular file.

It is possible that   jbauchnycrr's preferences caused the corruption of the file but then every file on jbauchnycrr's computer should get corrupted and so far he is not saying if this is the case.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points