Skip navigation
Alan B Baker
Currently Being Moderated

Co-Existing Versions

Apr 11, 2012 9:36 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10 #elements_10

I am successfully using Photoshop Elements, v6.0 and Premiere Elements, v4.0 on my Dell desktop. The desktop is running Windows XP, SP3.

I am considering upgrading both programs to version 10 but I would like to keep the old versions operating for awhile.

Can the two versions of Photoshop Elements (v 6.0 and 10.0) co-exist on the same machine?

Also, can the two versions of Premiere Elements (v 4.0 and 10.0) co-exist on the same machine?

If the answers are yes, are there any special installation instructions to keep the 2 versions of the same program separate?

Thanks for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Alan B Baker

Yes, you can have several versions of the programs on your computer at once.

No special instructions. Installing a new one has no effect on the others.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Alan B Baker

Alan,

Having older versions of Adobe programs (most can co-exist just fine), with which one is familiar, is a good course of action. This usually allows one to continue working in the familiar versions, while they learn the new one.

Now, with Premiere, there ARE considerations about migrating Projects from older to newer versions. Sometimes, those migrations go OK, but many times they do not, and problems arise. That is why we suggest fininshing Projects in the version, in which they were started.

Things are different with Photoshop Elements, as one is only talking about Image files, which are almost completely universal.

Going back some years, I had Photoshop Version 7.0.1, and Photoshop CS on my computer, as I wanted to have my "old friend" handy, for when a client called with a deadline, and wanted the new version installed, to learn it. I also had a copy of Photoshop Version 4. installed, as it did one particular job, better than all later versions, and I had one client, who about twice per year, handed me just such a project for one of her clients. It only got used about twice per year, but made those particular jobs easy to complete, and hand-off the exact files, that the client needed.

Good luck, and newer versions of both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements will install in different folders, and neither will overwrite the existing version.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points