Skip navigation
Tom_W_1947
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4--update to current process

Apr 10, 2012 11:47 AM

I just upgraded to Lightroom 4 from LR 3. I find that in Develop when I click on the exclamation point, "Update to current process," the image becomes grayer and bluer, in other words, worse. This for $82.16? So far I am unimpressed, but maybe over time I will change my mind.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Tom_W_1947

PV 2012 may well make your images lower contrast because this process version is maintaining a lot more highlight texture and opening up the shadows–which is generally a good thing. However, I've not seen ANY color shifts when updating to PV 2012...

In general, the new PV is superior to the previous version in terms of extracting as much image detail and texture you could want. Of course, if you find it flat, you can always increase the contrast. Many people didn't actually use the older Contrast adjustment but in PV 2012, it's become a much more important control. If you images are too flat, simply increase the contrast.

In the meantime, note that the conversion from PV 2010 to PV 2012 is not a perfect 1:1 relationship. It can't be because the controls are so different. There may well be images where PV 2012 may not be as pleasing as PV 2010. For those images, I suggest you consider simply keeping them in PV 2010. I certainly don't suggest people do the PV conversion en mass..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

PV 2012 may well make your images lower contrast because this process version is maintaining a lot more highlight texture and opening up the shadows–which is generally a good thing. However, I've not seen ANY color shifts when updating to PV 2012...

Jeff, I've recently seen some hue shifts when converting between PV2010 and PV2012. It seems to be in natural yellows and the fix is to pull back on tint slider (i.e reduce magenta) I sent a sample DNG to Eric a few days back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Interesting.

I see it too with yellows (and not only) that have a red channel of 97% or so. But I thought it's a part of "auto-highlight roll of" that is built into PV2012. And as I underastand, color recovery is a part of that process.

Honestly, I don't quite like it, as it expands into tone that a close, but still far enough from clipping. Reminds me of hilight recovery hue shifts that everyone hated until it was fixed a year ago or so.

Would be nice if you keep us up to date as you hear back from Eric.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

I doubt that it's anything to do with highlight recoverya as the highest value I have, before adjustments, is around 80%

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff. I'm an admirer of your photo work and amazed by your Photoshop work. How's that for real butter?

As noted by Tom_W, when I update my LR3 photos to current process, my images seem to go 'flat' in the contrast and color saturation departments. I see the controls in Develop module zero out. Yup, I've got a question: Is that the only option for this process updating?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply. — j.c.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to J.C. from N.D.

Well to update you obviously need to change the process version.

Then LR will apply the closest possible settings that translate from PV2010 to PV2012.

Theoretically you could test and play with some sample images to find out what other develop sliders you would adjust to better match your vision from PV2010, and save that into a preset.

Then you can batch-apply that to images which belong to the same category of overall contrast.

And that is the caveat: as PV2012 is image-adaptive, the same numericals do not mean the same on different images.

But why would you?

There is absolutely no need to convert any image from PV2010 to 2012.

I would only do so for individual ones where I was less than satisfied with my LR3-results. Where I guess I could do better with PV2012.

Rather invest your time to learn how to develop new images in PV2012 well, also as a preparation for switching some PV2010-images. Experience how the new sliders react will greatly help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Thanks to Cornelia. Those are sage words. Alas, my initial comment came after I had mass Updated an entire catalog folder. Luckily I stopped there and came to the Forum. I did launch LR3, loaded the LR3 catalog containing those and compared the LR4 updates. The difference was not significant but the flatness did concern me. I will have a fall-back LR position for that early LR faux pas. And, I will take your advice to not rush into changing my 2010-images. Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to J.C. from N.D.

Hi J.C.,

You might be able to do a batch-update fo this folder back to PV2010, especially if you have not changed anything else.

Select them, go to develop module, choose PV2010 from the camera calibration panle and synchronize that to all images of the folder.

So it need not remain a faux pas .

Good luck, Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

I've also noticed that where the default tone curve in 10 is medium contrast, 12 sets the tone curve to linear. Setting it back to medium contrast brings back a bit of contrast. However, I'm starting to use the contrast slider in place of the tone curve for general contrast adjustment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points