Skip navigation
grainyboy
Currently Being Moderated

How about vector type like Illustrator? I would save time not to have to go back and forth.

Apr 11, 2012 8:58 AM

How about vector type like Illustrator? I would save time not to have to go back and forth.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to grainyboy

Hi,

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by 'vector type'? Are you talking about type layers, or paths, or shape layers? What do you do in Illustrator that you would like to see in Photoshop?

Is there a change particular to Ps CS6 that makes you go to Illustrator? Or is this more generally a feature request?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to grainyboy

Photoshop's type has been vector, and re-editable for many years.

And you can always convert the type into a shape layer for more flexibility.

(or 3D for lots of fun)

So I'm really not sure what you're asking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Unfortunately, though, you can't currently use the new stroke and fill settings that are available for vector shape layers with type right now. Things like applying a dashed stroke would require that the text be converted to outlines. However, Layer Styles can be used as a solution for almost all of these use cases, so I wouldn't classify this as a priority issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to grainyboy

While I can't seem to see your image, I think I can tell you what is going on: The reason why Photoshop text appears pixelated inside of Photoshop is that Photoshop always displays it at the same resolution as the rest of your image file. That is because if you export it in a format like JPEG or PNG, which is pixel based, this is what you are getting, and Photoshop is fundamentally a pixel-based editor, so what you are seeing is always a pixel graphic at a certain resolution. However, if you export to a format that supports vectors, like PDF for example if you are going to have your graphics printed, both text and vector graphics will be output as vectors and will not appear pixelated, even if you have layer styles applied (for instance, if you use a texture overlay, Photoshop will output the text as a vector clipping path for that texture). There are certain conditions, however, in which cases Photoshop needs to rasterize your type. That is why I try to always place your type as high up in layer order as possible and always check PDFs in Acrobat if any rasterization occured. Text will get rasterized if you put it inside a smart object and apply a smart filter to it for example. If you know your text has to be rasterized and you can't get around it, it sometimes makes sense to work at resolutions higher than 300 ppi as some print companies can actually output at higher resolutions than that, minimizing the jaggies on your text. You can talk to your printer to find out if that is the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:27 AM   in reply to peter/w

p_werner wrote:

While I can't seem to see your image…

No one can. 

You have to use the little camera icon in the Reply Editor in the forum's web interface through your web browser to embed an image in a post.  Images attached to emails disappear into cyberspace and nobody gets to see them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points