Skip navigation
CAB Diver
Currently Being Moderated

Fix for CS5 & CS6 Hangs with Flashback Virus??

Apr 11, 2012 10:57 AM

I recently found that my imac was infected with the Flashback Virus.

Ever since then, both CS5 and CS6 hang when trying to open them from Lightroom 4 or 3 using 'edit in.'

This is isolated to my imac since Lightroom 3 & 4 work as expected with CS5 & 6 with my macbook.

I have an appt with the Geniuses at the Apple Store tomorrow to delete the virus (Norton can identify it, but can't delete it.  So what are they good for?).

My questions are:

1.  Should I ask the experts at Apple to do anything in particular that can affect this problem, or

2. Will a simple 'uninstall'/'reinstall' for LR and CS5 & 6 be sufficient?

Recommendations from the Adobe experts will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Bernhardt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to CAB Diver

Since we don't know the full details of the virus, we don't know how it might affect applications or how to clean it up.

Yes, you'll need to ask the "experts" at Apple about how to clean it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to CAB Diver

CNET has a pretty good article on the malware. It contains information on how to tell if you have it, and how to remove it. http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57410050-248/mac-flashback-malware-w hat-it-is-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-faq/

*If you are uncomforable navigating your system, it may be best to talk to Apple, or a certified professional. Sometimes more harm can come from these 'fixes'.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to CAB Diver

Chris.

Having previously worked for Apple, going to an Apple Store with a malware issue may be a waste of time. Their Geniuses usually don't fix unsupported issues like that until Apple releases an update to their OS. Like I mentioned above, there's always the possiblity that something worse can come from 'fixing' malware. They may offer to completely erase and install your OS, but that might not be ideal.

I'd suggest calling AppleCare first. Speak with a rep to see what they suggest first.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to CAB Diver

With Mac malware, it's tricky. Apple has a built in application that tracks/removes these files. They're pretty good with updating the system, but with any malicious tool, it's going to be a cat/mouse fight. When Apple catches this one, an updated malware will be around the corner.

Your best bet is to be sure of what you're downloading. If something pops up to inform you of a Flash Player update, close the window, and go directly to Adobe's website. Don't collect $200.

As with any malicious file that hits Mac OS X, you'll certainly hear about it from the various Apple related blogs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to CAB Diver

CAB Diver wrote:

…the suspicious files in my Cache that had been identified by Norton Anti-Virus…

Norton on a Mac, especially NAV (Norton Anti Virus) is very bad news.  That may very well be the source of all your issues.  Really.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points